Has ESPN called a time-out on Playmakers?
BY Advocate.com Editors
November 13 2003 1:00 AM ET
The New York Post's Page Six column reports that Tuesday's season finale of the gay-inclusive football drama Playmakers might have been the last episode ever. According to the column, ESPN is folding under pressure from the National Football League, which doesn't appreciate the show's portrayal of pro players as drug users and wife-beaters. (Page Six doesn't mention what the NFL thinks about the show's gay player, portrayed by Daniel Petronijevic.) Insiders tell the column that the network has pulled the plug on the show rather than lose its lucrative contracts for NFL coverage, but an ESPN rep told the Post that no decision on the show's future has yet been made.
- WATCH: Alabama Jails, Fines Minister After Performing Lesbian Wedding
- Where in the World Are the Happiest Gay Men?
- Gallery of Geek: Yannick Tallarida
- New Report Underlines Savage Inequalities Faced by LGBT Americans
- Poised for Perfection: Sgt. Shane Ortega Puts a Face to the Transgender Military Ban
- #TBT: Selling the Male Body