County commissioners in Kansas stay mum over naming creek after William S. Burroughs
BY Advocate.com Editors
December 03 2003 12:00 AM ET
The Lawrence [Kan.] Journal-World reports that Douglas County commissioners have decided not to decide when it comes to naming a creek after legendary gay Beat author William S. Burroughs. The currently unnamed creek--which Judy Garland enthusiasts will be thrilled to know is informally called the Atchison Topeka and Santa Fe Tributary--runs past the house where Burroughs spent the last 15 years of his life. The proposal to name the 2.6-mile tributary of the Kansas River for the author of Naked Lunch has been endorsed by the Brook Creek Neighborhood Association and the Lawrence city commission, and a final ruling will be forthcoming in the spring from the U.S. Board on Geographic Names.
The county commissioners, however, decided not to make a formal recommendation for the naming, although there was vocal disagreement among them. Commissioner Jere McElhaney opposed the proposal, saying, "This sends the wrong message, that we can name a creek or a landmark after a person who was a known and habitual drug user, promoted the use of drugs, promoted a revolutionary lifestyle, and had no respect.... This type of gentleman, not one of us would want our children or grandchildren to follow that type of lifestyle."
Commissioner Charles Jones countered that naming the creek for Burroughs would be a tribute to his literary greatness, not to his personal life. "If I had children or grandchildren, I would want them to read his books because his books were creative and challenging and made you think," Jones told McElhaney. "Ultimately, I think he was a very creative force in the world." Jones added, "Robert Frost was cruel to his family. Ronald Reagan was remote to his children. There are a lot of people you could look at and say there's some negative aspects. And if that's the standard we use, I don't know who we celebrate."
- WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2
- German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- Colo. School Board Member Denies Existence of Gay, Trans Identities
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics December 08 2013 3:16 PM
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License December 08 2013 2:31 PM
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 December 08 2013 2:15 PM
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' December 08 2013 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member December 08 2013 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights December 08 2013 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM