O'Donnell funds Queer Eye room at GLBT high school
BY Advocate.com Editors
December 09 2003 1:00 AM ET
Looking for a connection among Harvey Milk High School, Rosie O'Donnell, and the Fab 5 of Queer Eye for the Straight Guy? Neither were we, but here it is: The New York Post reports that O'Donnell personally donated $25,000 to the New York school for gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgendered teenagers in order to create a "Fab 5 Room" in honor of the five gay men who star in Bravo's reality makeover show. O'Donnell wrote about a visit to Harvey Milk in the December 9 issue of The Advocate.
O'Donnell made the donation public at a benefit for the Hetrick-Martin Institute, the nonprofit gay youth advocacy group that administers Harvey Milk High. The event reportedly raised almost $850,000 for the organization through a silent auction and the live auction O'Donnell hosted.
One live-auction item included tickets to the Broadway musical Taboo, of which O'Donnell is the sole producer and financial backer, as well as dinner with the show's star, Euan Morton, who plays Boy George. During the bidding O'Donnell added the jacket she was wearing to the package. "It says 'Taboo '03' on the back," the Post quotes O'Donnell as saying. "I have a feeling it'll be a collector's item." The Taboo package sold for $10,000.
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- South Carolina Soccer Team Signs Gay Player Anton Hysén
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- Pet Shop Boys Remix Irish Drag Queen's Powerful Speech Against Homophobia
- Looking Back: Where Things Stand Heading Into Season 2
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist March 10 2014 7:44 PM
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! March 10 2014 6:22 PM
- Politics Lesbian Couple Sues Neighbors for Bias March 10 2014 6:08 PM