O'Donnell funds Queer Eye room at GLBT high school
BY Advocate.com Editors
December 09 2003 1:00 AM ET
Looking for a connection among Harvey Milk High School, Rosie O'Donnell, and the Fab 5 of Queer Eye for the Straight Guy? Neither were we, but here it is: The New York Post reports that O'Donnell personally donated $25,000 to the New York school for gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgendered teenagers in order to create a "Fab 5 Room" in honor of the five gay men who star in Bravo's reality makeover show. O'Donnell wrote about a visit to Harvey Milk in the December 9 issue of The Advocate.
O'Donnell made the donation public at a benefit for the Hetrick-Martin Institute, the nonprofit gay youth advocacy group that administers Harvey Milk High. The event reportedly raised almost $850,000 for the organization through a silent auction and the live auction O'Donnell hosted.
One live-auction item included tickets to the Broadway musical Taboo, of which O'Donnell is the sole producer and financial backer, as well as dinner with the show's star, Euan Morton, who plays Boy George. During the bidding O'Donnell added the jacket she was wearing to the package. "It says 'Taboo '03' on the back," the Post quotes O'Donnell as saying. "I have a feeling it'll be a collector's item." The Taboo package sold for $10,000.
- PHOTOS: Men Over 50, 3rd Edition
- WATCH: Being Gay Is 'Death Worthy,' According to Georgia Church Sign
- Rick Santorum Defends Bruce Jenner: 'He's a Woman'
- Argentina Makes History With Three-Parent Birth Certificate
- Mayweather, Pacquiao: Two Checkered Pasts with LGBTs, One with Women
- New Details Emerge as Officials Rule Leelah Alcorn's Death a 'Suicide'