Clive Barker to direct movie based on toys he designed
BY Advocate.com Editors
December 11 2003 12:00 AM ET
Clive Barker, the gay Renaissance man who writes best-sellers, paints prolifically, designs toys, and has created more than one film franchise, will soon return to directing for the first time in more than eight years, Variety reports. Barker, who had sworn off taking the helm in filmmaking projects after 1995's Lord of Illusions, will reportedly direct Tortured Souls, based on his own line of collectible action-figure monsters released in 2001.
Barker will produce the film with Todd McFarlane, whose toy company produced Barker's Tortured Souls figures as well as toys based on films such as Shrek and Austin Powers and on celebrities such as the bands Kiss and Metallica. Barker's longtime associate, Joe Daley, vice president of Barker's Seraphim Films, will coproduce with McFarlane executive Terry Fitzgerald.
"We come from very different areas. I come from books and paintings; he comes from toys and comics," Barker said of McFarlane. "In the middle we meet quite nicely becuase we both love these kinds of movies."
The original action figures--which quickly sold out--each came with a Barker-written story line, which will be the basis of the screenplay, on which McFarlane and Barker will collaborate.
- WATCH: Obama Bundler, HRC Founder Terry Bean Arrested on Sex Crimes Charges
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Smoke Signals' Gay Actor Turned Doctor Lands New Career-Defining Role
- 6 Bad Signs of a Good Relationship
- Transgender Pioneer and Stone Butch Blues Author Leslie Feinberg Has Died
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers