Paris Barclay brings Hate to Showtime
March 17 2004 12:00 AM ET
Veteran TV writer-director and Advocate columnist Paris Barclay is developing a one-hour drama pilot at Showtime about a New York Police Department hate-crimes unit. Titled Hate, the gritty project is a fictionalized take on the NYPD's real-life bias unit. Barclay was inspired by police officers he met while working on NYPD Blue.
"I thought it was a subject with a group of people who were fascinating characters," he said. "This is a different way to do a show that's really about tolerance." The main character in Hate will be a female inspector who is the highest-ranking woman in the NYPD. She leads the unit while dealing with pressures from the mayor's office and the detectives under her supervision. The crimes detailed in the story lines will encompass issues of race, religion, and gender, which leaves a broad palette to draw from, Barclay said. "It's sort of strange what they get," he said. "The crimes range from being ghastly to being hysterically funny." Barclay is writing the first draft with James DeMonaco (The Negotiator).
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- PHOTOS: We Asked The Stars, Who Is Your Hero?
- Gay Man Allegedly Assaulted by Hasidic Gang in New York
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular December 10 2013 8:47 PM
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics December 10 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? December 10 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President December 10 2013 7:08 PM
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics December 10 2013 6:11 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Filing Taxes December 10 2013 5:56 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances Examining Employee Benefits in the Wake of DOMA’s Overturn December 10 2013 5:38 PM