George Michael considers Wham! stage musical
March 26 2004 12:00 AM ET
BBC News reports that George Michael is thinking seriously about a stage musical based on his former pop group Wham! "Two or three producers have approached Andrew Ridgeley and [me]," Michael said in a London radio interview, although he added that he "hates the idea" on a creative level. "On another level, I know a certain generation of people would love the idea. But I would literally have to avoid the premiere. The truth is that, done onstage, there'll be no charm, and you'll be left with a lot of cheese. I think if Andrew was of the opinion that the story was good enough, then it would be snotty not to do it. He would love the fact that it would make a fortune as well."
The proposed musical would be one in a series of stage shows based on the old hits of various pop acts. The songs of ABBA were the basis for the worldwide hit Mamma Mia, and other shows have been built around music by Billy Joel, Queen, and Kylie Minogue among others. In the interview Michael noted he was "too much of a fan" of Queen to see the stage show We Will Rock You, based on the group's songs.
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2
- German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics 3:16 PM
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License 2:31 PM
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 2:15 PM
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM