Indian drag film, banned at home, premieres in U.K.
May 08 2004 12:00 AM ET
The Hindi film The Pink Mirror (Gulabi Aaina), denied a certificate by the Indian Censor Board because it deals with drag queens, had its U.K. premiere Thursday in Manchester, reports BBC News. Although the film has screened at more than 30 film festivals around the world, Indian authorities have banned it in its country of origin because of its gay content. "The Censor Board has refused to give it a certificate--not even an adult certificate--because they consider it full of obscenity and vulgarity," said director Sridhar Rangayan to BBC News Online. The 40-minute film deals with two drag queens competing with a Western-influenced gay teen for the affections of a handsome young man. "I felt these characters were not portrayed at all in any cinema in India," said Rangayan. "They needed to be given a voice without being ridiculed." Mirror also addresses the threat of HIV/AIDS to India's gay population. Rangayan says he hopes to make six more shorts about gays in India, which he plans to release as an omnibus title, Rainbow Stories.
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Women WATCH: Australia's Sexy New Lesbian Web Series Starting From ... Now! 32 min 38 sec ago
- Television 15 Most Ridiculous Real Housewives Taglines Ever 1 hour 14 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment 10 Things We Learned from Neil Patrick Harris 1 hour 19 min ago
- Women WATCH: Houston's Lesbian Mayor Reveals 'The Gay Agenda' 2 hours 37 min ago
- Marriage Equality Oregon Republicans Support Marriage Equality 2:18 PM
- Uganda Ugandans Challenge 'Jail the Gays' Law in Court UPDATED: 2:12 PM
- Travel Melissa Etheridge Performing Russian Anthem at Toronto WorldPride 1:48 PM