Gay rights group OutRage! irked over U.K.'s MOBO awards
August 26 2004 12:00 AM ET
British gay rights activist group OutRage! is trying to halt the broadcast of the MOBO (Music of Black Origin) awards on the BBC after organizers of the show refused to ban two artists whose songs have included homophobic lyrics, reports BBC News. The artists in question are Elephant Man and Vybz Cartel, who are both nominated for best reggae single at the MOBO awards, to be given out September 30 in London. A spokeswoman for MOBO said that such homophobic singles as Elephant Man's "We Nuh Like Gay" were recorded "years ago" and that both artists have "changed their music since then." A spokesman for the BBC, which plans to air the awards show on October 6, said, "The BBC will not broadcast any homophobic lyrics." Nonetheless, OutRage! still seeks to keep the show off the air. "The promotion of these murder-music artists contradicts the BBC's producer guidelines and equal opportunities policy, which prohibit the promotion of homophobia and homophobic violence," said OutRage! spokesman Brendan Lock. Beenie Man, another reggae artist under fire from OutRage! over homophobic lyrics, is not a MOBO nominee this year.
- WATCH: Ark. High School Yearbook Refuses to Profile Out Student
- LGBT Exclusion Costs St. Paddy's Parades
- A Brief History of Gays And The St. Patrick's Day Parade
- Fred Phelps Excommunicated and Near Death?
- WATCH: First Gay Hug Parodies First Kiss Viral Video
- Billy Graham's Son: Obama Could Learn from Putin's Homophobia
- Women WATCH: Lesbians Explain - How Two Women Fall In Love 1 min 37 sec ago
- Youth WATCH: Ark. Yearbook Cuts Profile of Gay Student 23 min 39 sec ago
- Women WATCH: PLL's Shay Mitchell - 'Sometimes I'd Rather Kiss Another Girl' 45 min 41 sec ago
- Politics Ore. AG Rules 'Religious Freedom' Bill Title Must Say 'Discrimination' 1 hour 1 min ago
- Television PHOTOS: Behind The Scenes With a New Gay Sitcom 1 hour 28 min ago
- Music LISTEN: Lady Gaga's 'Brooklyn Nights' Leaked 2 hours 20 min ago
- HIV & AIDS HIV 101: He's Positive, I'm Not — How Do We Deal? 2 hours 34 min ago