Melissa Etheridge battles breast cancer
October 08 2004 11:00 PM ET
Representatives for singer-songwriter Melissa Etheridge released a statement Friday saying that she has been diagnosed with breast cancer. Thanks to early detection and progressive treatment, Etheridge's physician expects a speedy and complete recovery. Because of her impending surgery, Etheridge has had to cancel upcoming concert dates. In the statement, Etheridge said, "I am fortunate to be under a wonderful doctor's care and thankful that this was caught early. I am looking forward to a quick and full recovery." Etheridge will be recuperating at her home in Los Angeles with her wife, actress Tammy Lynn Michaels, and two children.
- WATCH: Laverne Cox Caught in Middle of Screaming Match on The View
- BREAKING: Supreme Court Rebuffs Florida — Marriages to Begin
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment
- WATCH: Partner of Sydney Siege Hero Remembers His 'Soulmate'
- Emily Blunt: 'I Want to Be a Gay Icon'