Ian McKellen cast in Colossus
BY Matthew Van Atta
May 20 2006 12:00 AM ET
Rachel Weisz, Ian McKellen, and Susan Sarandon have signed
to star in Katselas Films' Boer War political thriller
The Colossus, the company announced Friday. Based
on the novel Manly Pursuits by Ann Harries,
The Colossus is being produced by Lisa Katselas
(Richard III, Mrs. Dalloway) and directed by Sean
Mathias (Bent), who wrote the screenplay with
The Colossus is currently in preproduction, with
principal photography expected to begin in fall 2006.
The $15 million-budgeted movie tells of ailing
archcolonist Cecil Rhodes's belief that he can only
recover his health if he can hear the sound of English
songbirds outside his window in Cape Town.
Ornithologist Francis Wills is hired to transport 500
songbirds to Rhodes's home in South Africa where he falls
in love with Olive Schreiner, a local firebrand activist
fighting against Rhodes and trying to prevent the
inevitable war against the Boers. Wills finds himself
at the dangerous center of a daring plot to stop the war.
(Sam Andrews, Reuters)
- Where in the World Are The Happiest Gay Men?
- Clemson University Fans Tell Football Coach to Punt Antigay Fundraiser
- EXCLUSIVE: Watch the Official Trailer for 54: The Director's Cut
- Why Can't We Talk About Homophobia in the Black Community?
- Op-ed: Let's Keep the Momentum Going After Win in Ireland
- Priest Dismissed by Catholic College Comes Out as Gay