BY Julie Bolcer
February 02 2010 11:25 AM ET
HBO is developing a biopic of antigay activist Anita Bryant that will be directed by gay Sex and the City creator Darren Star.
According to The Hollywood Reporter, the as-yet untitled film is being written by Runaway creator Chad Hodge. It will be executive produced by Star and Dennis Erdman.
Bryant, born in Oklahoma in 1940, was a beauty queen and a best-selling pop star before returning to her Christian roots in the 1970s. She became an antigay activist in 1977, when she launched the successful effort to repeal an antidiscrimination ordinance in Miami-Dade County. She also tried and failed in 1978 to pass the Briggs Initiative, which sought to fire gay teachers in California. The campaign is covered in the 2008 film Milk.
In turn, the gay rights movement boycotted Bryant, which prompted the end of her pitch contract with the Florida Citrus Commission and the decline of her career.
According to the Reporter, Hodge wants to speak with Bryant about the project in order to generate “a nuanced portrayal of her and ‘what drove her to do the things that she did.’”
Bryant was struck in the face with a pie by a gay activist in Des Moines in 1977. Watch the video below.
- We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
- Boy Scouts Timeline
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Commentary Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because We’re Gay? 17 min 19 sec ago
- Current Issue We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago 51 min 29 sec ago
- Sports Water Polo Player Addresses WeHo City Council in Speedo May 22 2013 10:00 PM
- Comics and Graphic Novels This Gay Superhero Comic Is So Super Duper May 22 2013 9:00 PM
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? May 22 2013 8:15 PM
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt's Lawyer: Possible Plea Deal, But No Felony For Same-Sex High School Relationship May 22 2013 7:03 PM
- Military Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy May 22 2013 7:01 PM