Tweets GLAAD: "We Are Listening"
BY Advocate.com Editors
July 07 2010 9:50 AM ET
NBC’s Today show tweeted a message overnight to the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation to indicate
the program’s producers are aware of the outcry resulting from their decision to hold a
“modern” wedding contest that excludes gay and lesbian couples.
According to GLAAD spokesman Rich Ferraro, “Overnight the Today Show tweeted @glaad: todayshow: @glaad We are listening. A complicated issue. Here is a @Mediaite piece that offers some perspective: http://bit.ly/9at3K3 #LGBT.”
The article, by Michael Triplett, argues that Today is “in a bind,” because same-sex couples cannot legally marry in New York, even though the state recognizes legal same-sex marriages from other states and jurisdictions, including nearby Connecticut.
According to GLAAD, nearly 2,500 people have sent e-mails to Today, and the media watchdog organization will be reaching out to the show’s producers again Wednesday morning to discuss ways to hold an inclusive contest.
Late Wednesday, according to Ferrrao, Today requested to meet with GLAAD on Thursday. As of late Thursday morning, the meeting was underway.
Late this afternoon we heard back from the Today Show who requested a meeting with us tomorrow. We will keep you posted on the results. As noted in the blog below, glaad will be standing firm in urging the Today Show to do the right thing and open the contest to same-sex. GLAAD also urges couples to continue to submit stories of love and commitment that we can share with NBC (see second link). --Rich
The Modern Day Wedding Contest will award an all-expenses-paid wedding, to be broadcast on Today in October, and a fully paid-for honeymoon. The Manhattan-based show’s producers say the wedding must be able to legally take place in New York, which does not allow same-sex couples to marry.
- Film Kidnapped for Christ to Premiere at Slamdance 24 min 42 sec ago
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Separate or Together? 1 hour 23 min ago
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: Just Another Day at Work in LGBT America 1 hour 24 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment PHOTOS: We Asked The Stars, Who Is Your Hero? 1 hour 54 min ago
- Music WATCH: The Best (and Not So Best) of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music 5:00 AM
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke December 09 2013 8:01 PM
- Travel Spider-Man Will Welcome In 2014 In Times Square December 09 2013 7:52 PM