Ian McKellen Leads Manchester Pride
BY Advocate.com Editors
August 28 2010 2:50 PM ET
Sir Ian McKellen, the Academy Award-nominated star of The Lord of the Rings, served as grand marshal for the Manchester, England, pride parade, which celebrated its 20th anniversary Saturday.
According to the BBC, thousands of people watched more than 100 groups and floats participate in the parade despite heavy rains.
“Starting on Deansgate, the parade travelled up the city's main shopping street before snaking through St Anne's Square, past Albert Square and finishing at the Gay Village,” reported the BBC.
McKellen led the procession, which is part of the larger pride festival that raises money for Manchester-area LGBT organizations. He rode in a car introducing him as "Serena McKellan."
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Politics Ukrainian LGBT Pride Event Blocked 5 min 1 sec ago
- Sports MMA Fighter in First Fight Since Revealing Gender Transition 37 min 21 sec ago
- Women Op-Ed: Remembering Sakia Gunn: the News Coverage and Homophobic Murder 1 hour 9 min ago
- Politics Puerto Rico House Approves Antidiscrimination Bill 1 hour 18 min ago
- Entertainment News Week in Geek: Star Trek Actor Gets Wet and Naked, Justice League, and More 2 hours 6 min ago
- Activism Multimedia Project Addresses LGBT Rights Among Palestinians 2 hours 31 min ago
- Women WATCH: Sara Gilbert is a Lesbian Stereotype in Flannel and Birkenstocks 3:36 PM