Cheyenne Braces for Premiere
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 21 2010 10:45 AM ET
Broadway and 30 Rock star Cheyenne Jackson seems on the verge of rocketing to even bigger stardom after his Tuesday debut in a recurring role on Glee.
Jackson spoke with reporter Itay Hod at The Daily Beast:
“Jackson is sworn to secrecy about his new gig, but this much he's allowed to say: His character, Dustin Goolsby, will be the new coach of rival singing group Vocal Adrenaline. (The position became available after the old coach, played by Idina Menzel, quit her job at the end of Season 1 to become a full-time mom).
"’I'm the anti-Will Schuester and I'm causing some drama,’ he said, referring to the lovable character played by Matthew Morrison.”
Jackson almost won the role of Schuester, in fact, in one of two previous attempts to join the cast of Glee.
Hod also follows up on this past summer’s controversy surrounding a Newsweek article by Ramin Setoodeh, who used Glee as an example for his arguments that out gay actors cannot convincingly play straight characters. Jackson called him an “asshole” at a public panel.
According to Hod at The Daily Beast, “He later happened to bump into Setoodeh at Barneys. ‘I looked at him, and he looked at me, and I'm sure he said to himself, 'Oh man, am I going to be confronted?' But instead of giving him a piece of his mind, Jackson took the high road. ‘I said, 'Listen, a dialogue has been started. I know you didn't mean to cause harm.'"
- Television WATCH: Out Rapper Le1f on Letterman 2:59 PM
- People WATCH: The Strong Bond Between Straight Women and Gay Men 2:52 PM
- Transgender Trans Contestant is Miss Congeniality at Calif. Beauty Pageant 11:57 AM
- Theater Injury Sidelines Christopher Sieber in Matilda 5:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Hernan Marina 4:00 AM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: A New Quiver March 14 2014 7:30 PM
- Travel State Department: Russia is Dangerous for All Americans March 14 2014 6:55 PM