Jane Lynch Doubts Lead Roles for Gay Actors
BY Advocate.com Editors
January 14 2011 7:15 AM ET
Glee star Jane Lynch said that she was unsure when, if ever, gay actors would land romantic leading roles because of the profit imperative in the film industry.
Lynch expressed her doubts in an interview with AfterElton.com that was picked up by outlets including The Hollywood Reporter.
"I don't know when or if that will ever happen," said the lesbian actress, according to THR. "...This is a business of projection and desiring people from afar ... so there has got to be some truth to it, in terms of, 'I could see myself with that person.' Because the leading man and lady are the person we want them to fall in love with, and most of the audience is straight. So for right now, we can only use straight actors."
The statements from Lynch follow recent comments from out actors Richard Chamberlain and Rupert Everett, who both indicated that coming out would be fraught with dangers for leading men.
Lynch pinned the blame on the industry’s focus on money, according to THR.
"It's everybody looking at the bottom line ... I think they want their young Romeo/Juliet archetypes to be straight," she said.
- Duck Dynasty May Be Over After Antigay Tirade
- BREAKING: Utah Marriage Ban Unconstitutional
- Hundreds of Catholic Students Protest Gay Vice Principal's Dismissal
- N.M. County Officials Resign Over Marriage Equality
- WATCH: Jon Stewart 'Sort of' Stands With Fox News in Defending Duck Dynasty Star
- The Advocate's Person of the Year: Pope Francis
- World News Ugandan LGBT Activists: 'We Have to Stay and Fight' December 20 2013 8:57 PM
- Marriage Equality Photo from Utah: First Gay Couple Married December 20 2013 7:40 PM
- Women LISTEN: Out Folk Duo Hannah & Maggie's Lesbian Love Letter to Mrs. Claus December 20 2013 6:46 PM
- Women INTERVIEW: Welcome to the Age of Mary Lambert December 20 2013 4:55 PM
- Style Daily Crush: Out Russian Olympics T-Shirt December 20 2013 4:48 PM
- Entertainment News Make These Golden Girls Legos Happen! December 20 2013 4:44 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Award Winner: Best Small Hotel or Resort December 20 2013 4:34 PM