22nd GLAAD Media Award Noms
BY Advocate.com Editors
January 19 2011 4:15 PM ET
The Kids Are All Right, Oprah's interview with Ricky Martin and The Advocate are among the nominees for the 22nd Annual GLAAD Media Awards, announced Thursday.
This year’s nominees, which encompass print, broadcast, digital media, and films in English- and Spanish-language categories, include Lisa Cholodenko's Golden Globe–nominated film The Kids Are All Right; I Love You Phillip Morris, starring Jim Carrey and Ewan McGregor; Howl, starring James Franco; the HBO drama True Blood; Fox's Glee; and the ABC comedy Modern Family.Also among the 147 nominees are the MSNBC interview with Fort Worth city councilman Joel Burns and the first televised interview with newly out father Ricky Martin on The Oprah Winfrey Show.
The Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation, which is celebrating its 25th anniversary, introduced a new category this year to recognize independent blogs. The inaugural nominees include The Bilerico Project, Blabbeando, Joe My God, Pam's House Blend, and Rod 2.0.
The Advocate/Out was nominated for Outstanding Magazine Overall Coverage, while Advocate.com was nominated for Outstanding Digital Journalism Article for former Washington correspondent Kerry Eleveld and her View From Washington column.
Winners will be announced at a series of GLAAD Media Award ceremonies starting March 19 in New York. Ceremonies also will be held April 16 in Los Angeles and May 14 in San Francisco.
The awards recognize and honor media for fair, accurate, and inclusive representations of the LGBT people.
Watch the nominee video below. See the complete list of GLAAD Media Award nominees here.
- WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Colo. Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- PHOTOS: India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark
- WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling 38 min 15 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' 1 hour 10 min ago
- Politics Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark 1 hour 19 min ago
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Baker 1 hour 35 min ago
- Travel What Airline Scored 100% on HRC's Corporate Equality Index? 1 hour 36 min ago
- Entertainment News The Queer Quotient at the SAG Awards 2 hours 17 min ago
- Entertainment News GQ Germany Features Famous Straight Men Kissing for Tolerance 4:28 PM