22nd GLAAD Media Award Noms
BY Advocate.com Editors
January 19 2011 5:15 PM ET
The Kids Are All Right, Oprah's interview with Ricky Martin and The Advocate are among the nominees for the 22nd Annual GLAAD Media Awards, announced Thursday.
This year’s nominees, which encompass print, broadcast, digital media, and films in English- and Spanish-language categories, include Lisa Cholodenko's Golden Globe–nominated film The Kids Are All Right; I Love You Phillip Morris, starring Jim Carrey and Ewan McGregor; Howl, starring James Franco; the HBO drama True Blood; Fox's Glee; and the ABC comedy Modern Family.Also among the 147 nominees are the MSNBC interview with Fort Worth city councilman Joel Burns and the first televised interview with newly out father Ricky Martin on The Oprah Winfrey Show.
The Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation, which is celebrating its 25th anniversary, introduced a new category this year to recognize independent blogs. The inaugural nominees include The Bilerico Project, Blabbeando, Joe My God, Pam's House Blend, and Rod 2.0.
The Advocate/Out was nominated for Outstanding Magazine Overall Coverage, while Advocate.com was nominated for Outstanding Digital Journalism Article for former Washington correspondent Kerry Eleveld and her View From Washington column.
Winners will be announced at a series of GLAAD Media Award ceremonies starting March 19 in New York. Ceremonies also will be held April 16 in Los Angeles and May 14 in San Francisco.
The awards recognize and honor media for fair, accurate, and inclusive representations of the LGBT people.
Watch the nominee video below. See the complete list of GLAAD Media Award nominees here.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality
- Ugandan LGBT Activists Arrested While Protesting Media Censorship
- Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process to Remain Relevant
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Current Issue Meet the New Voice for Dallas 30 min 46 sec ago
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families May 23 2013 8:17 PM
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process May 23 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile May 23 2013 7:15 PM
- Crime Questions Over Police Response to Murder of N.Y. Gay Man Still Unanswered May 23 2013 7:02 PM
- Marriage Equality Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality May 23 2013 6:41 PM
- Youth Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth May 23 2013 6:22 PM