Argentina's Trans Housemate
BY Advocate.com Editors
January 20 2011 9:25 AM ET
Alejandro Iglesias, a cast member of Big Brother in Argentina, told several of his housemates that he is a trans man.
Blabbeando reports on the development, which the blog calls “as visible a forum as there ever has been for trans issues in Latin America,” where Iglesias has defied predictions that he would be the first person booted off the show.
The debut episode of Big Brother shared Iglesias’s story with viewers, but his housemates did not know yet.
“In the casting tape he said that the reason he wanted to join the show was to have the chance to win the prize money so he can afford to pay for an expensive gender-reassignment surgery,” reports Blabbeando. “He also said he would not have a problem telling others about it as long as he came to trust others in the house.”
Watch Iglesias tell some housemates in the video.
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Leslie Jordan Banishes Antigay Starbucks Patrons: 'Get Out of My House!'
- White House to Unveil New HIV Strategy
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- WATCH: A Straight Wedding Morphs Into a Gay Proposal
- I Am Jazz: 14, Transgender, and the Star of My Own Docu-series