Fine Levied for Gay Zombie Movie
BY Advocate.com Editors
February 25 2011 4:15 PM ET
The director of the Melbourne Underground Film Festival was fined $750 for an illegal screening of Bruce LaBruce’s avant-garde horror film LA Zombie.
Richard Wolstencroft was sentenced to pay the sum to the Royal Children’s Hospital as punishment for screening the film, starring gay porn model François Sagat (pictured), in defiance of the Australian government’s film classification board. The film was initially slated to be screened at the festival in July 2010, but Classification Australia refused to grant classification to the film, making it illegal to screen publicly in Australia.
Rejecting the prohibition, Wolstencroft held a screening, which he called a “public disobedience freedom of speech event,” on August 29. In November, police raided his home and threatened to confiscate every DVD and computer in the home until they were satisfied with his claim that he destroyed the only DVD copy he had.
“I am giving some serious thought to holding the next MUFF in exile,” he said.
The maximum penalty for the illegal screening was two years in jail or a $28,668 fine. To defray his legal costs, Wolstencroft is holding a fundraising screening of director Bruce LaBruce’s documentary The Advocate of Fagdom. This time, it’s all legal.
- Entertainment News Musto: Tom Daley & Maria Bello Are Bi, Get Used To It 2 hours 37 min ago
- Television WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever! 7:00 AM
- Comedy Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School 6:00 AM
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: These Couples Prove Love Is Love 5:00 AM
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics December 08 2013 3:16 PM
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License December 08 2013 2:31 PM
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 December 08 2013 2:15 PM