Fine Levied for Gay Zombie Movie
BY Advocate.com Editors
February 25 2011 5:15 PM ET
The director of the Melbourne Underground Film Festival was fined $750 for an illegal screening of Bruce LaBruce’s avant-garde horror film LA Zombie.
Richard Wolstencroft was sentenced to pay the sum to the Royal Children’s Hospital as punishment for screening the film, starring gay porn model François Sagat (pictured), in defiance of the Australian government’s film classification board. The film was initially slated to be screened at the festival in July 2010, but Classification Australia refused to grant classification to the film, making it illegal to screen publicly in Australia.
Rejecting the prohibition, Wolstencroft held a screening, which he called a “public disobedience freedom of speech event,” on August 29. In November, police raided his home and threatened to confiscate every DVD and computer in the home until they were satisfied with his claim that he destroyed the only DVD copy he had.
“I am giving some serious thought to holding the next MUFF in exile,” he said.
The maximum penalty for the illegal screening was two years in jail or a $28,668 fine. To defray his legal costs, Wolstencroft is holding a fundraising screening of director Bruce LaBruce’s documentary The Advocate of Fagdom. This time, it’s all legal.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth
- Transgender High School Senior Skips Graduation Over School's Transphobic Policy
- Canada Lifts Lifetime Blood Ban on Gay Men — But There's a Catch
- Questions Over Police Response to Murder of N.Y. Gay Man Still Unanswered
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families May 23 2013 8:17 PM
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process May 23 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile May 23 2013 7:15 PM
- Crime Questions Over Police Response to Murder of N.Y. Gay Man Still Unanswered May 23 2013 7:02 PM
- Marriage Equality Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality May 23 2013 6:41 PM
- Youth Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth May 23 2013 6:22 PM
- Theater WATCH: How Billy Porter Becomes Kinky Boots Drag Diva May 23 2013 6:15 PM