Mark and Sunrise Ruffalo for N.Y. Marriage Equality
BY Julie Bolcer
February 25 2011 11:20 AM ET
Academy Award–nominated actor Mark Ruffalo and his wife, Sunrise, appear in the latest video in the New Yorkers for Marriage Equality series from the Human Rights Campaign.
The couple talks about parenthood in the video, saying, “We’re raising our three kids to treat everyone with dignity and respect. We believe everyone should have the right and the chance to be with the person they love – straight or gay.”
Advocates in New York hope to see another vote by June on the marriage equality bill, which failed in the state senate in 2009. Gov. Andrew Cuomo has vowed to push for a vote during this legislative session.
Ruffalo is nominated for a Best Supporting Actor Oscar for his role in The Kids Are All Right, the Lisa Cholodenko film about a lesbian family starring Annette Bening and Julianne Moore. Earlier this month at an HRC gala in New York, Ruffalo chatted with The Advocate about his thoughts on the social impact of the film, which is nominated for Best Picture.
The video testimonials, which appear online and may run on television, feature prominent New Yorkers expressing their support for marriage equality. Other videos in the New Yorkers for Marriage Equality campaign so far have included Barbara Bush, daughter of former President George W. Bush, New York City mayor Michael Bloomberg, Robert F. Kennedy, Jr., Joan Rivers, Whoopi Goldberg, Kyra Sedgwick and Kevin Bacon, John Slattery, Julianne Moore, Moby, Fran Drescher, Jeanne Moutoussamy-Ashe, Kenneth Cole, and Daphne Rubin-Vega.
Watch the latest video with Mark and Sunrise Ruffalo.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth
- Canada Lifts Lifetime Blood Ban on Gay Men — But There's a Catch
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process to Remain Relevant
- PHOTOS: Real Weddings, Real People
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families May 23 2013 8:17 PM
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process May 23 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile May 23 2013 7:15 PM
- Crime Questions Over Police Response to Murder of N.Y. Gay Man Still Unanswered May 23 2013 7:02 PM
- Marriage Equality Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality May 23 2013 6:41 PM
- Youth Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth May 23 2013 6:22 PM
- Theater WATCH: How Billy Porter Becomes Kinky Boots Drag Diva May 23 2013 6:15 PM