Mark and Sunrise Ruffalo for N.Y. Marriage Equality
BY Julie Bolcer
February 25 2011 11:20 AM ET
Academy Award–nominated actor Mark Ruffalo and his wife, Sunrise, appear in the latest video in the New Yorkers for Marriage Equality series from the Human Rights Campaign.
The couple talks about parenthood in the video, saying, “We’re raising our three kids to treat everyone with dignity and respect. We believe everyone should have the right and the chance to be with the person they love – straight or gay.”
Advocates in New York hope to see another vote by June on the marriage equality bill, which failed in the state senate in 2009. Gov. Andrew Cuomo has vowed to push for a vote during this legislative session.
Ruffalo is nominated for a Best Supporting Actor Oscar for his role in The Kids Are All Right, the Lisa Cholodenko film about a lesbian family starring Annette Bening and Julianne Moore. Earlier this month at an HRC gala in New York, Ruffalo chatted with The Advocate about his thoughts on the social impact of the film, which is nominated for Best Picture.
The video testimonials, which appear online and may run on television, feature prominent New Yorkers expressing their support for marriage equality. Other videos in the New Yorkers for Marriage Equality campaign so far have included Barbara Bush, daughter of former President George W. Bush, New York City mayor Michael Bloomberg, Robert F. Kennedy, Jr., Joan Rivers, Whoopi Goldberg, Kyra Sedgwick and Kevin Bacon, John Slattery, Julianne Moore, Moby, Fran Drescher, Jeanne Moutoussamy-Ashe, Kenneth Cole, and Daphne Rubin-Vega.
Watch the latest video with Mark and Sunrise Ruffalo.
- Fred Phelps Excommunicated and Near Death?
- WATCH: Ark. High School Yearbook Refuses to Profile Out Student
- A Brief History of Gays and the St. Patrick's Day Parade
- LGBT Exclusion Costs St. Paddy's Parades
- WATCH: First Gay Hug Parodies First Kiss Viral Video
- Author of Russia's 'Gay Propaganda' Law Sanctioned for Role in Ukraine Crisis
- Travel WeHo's Most Notorious Nudie Motel Going Mainstream 32 min 43 sec ago
- Women 31 Most Eligible Out Women of 2014 44 min 40 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Lesbians Explain - How Two Women Fall In Love 58 min 35 sec ago
- Russia Author of Russia's 'Gay Propaganda' Law Sanctioned for Role in Ukraine Crisis 1 hour 45 sec ago
- Youth WATCH: Ark. Yearbook Cuts Profile of Gay Student 1 hour 20 min ago
- Women WATCH: PLL's Shay Mitchell - 'Sometimes I'd Rather Kiss Another Girl' 1 hour 42 min ago
- Politics Ore. AG Rules 'Religious Freedom' Bill Title Must Say 'Discrimination' 1 hour 58 min ago