Gaga Dissolves Deal With Target
BY Advocate.com Editors
March 08 2011 5:50 PM ET
A source close to Lady Gaga confirms to The Advocate that the entertainer has dissolved her deal with Target over the chain's controversial political donations. "She and Target didn't see eye to eye on Target's policy of political donations and how they affect the LGBT community," the source tells The Advocate exclusively.
The Advocate was tipped off that the deal had crumbled by Bob Witeck of Witeck-Combs Communications.
Target came under fire by LGBT activists last year when it was revealed the discount store chain had donated corporate funds to MN Forward, a political action committee that supported antigay candidate Tom Emmer in his failed 2010 run for governor of Minnesota.
"We were very surprised and disappointed by the statements made by Lady Gaga’s organization related to her partnership with Target," a spokesperson for Target said in a statement Wednesday. "Target remains committed to the LGBT community as demonstrated by our contributions to various LGBT organizations, our recently established Policy Committee to review our political giving and our respectful, inclusive workplace environment."
Last month Gaga discussed the decision to partner with Target with Billboard magazine.
"That discussion was one of the most intense conversations I've ever had in a business meeting," Gaga told the music publication. "Part of my deal with Target is that they have to start affiliating themselves with LGBT charity groups and begin to reform and make amends for the mistakes they've made in the past ... our relationship is hinged upon their reform in the company to support the gay community and to redeem the mistakes they've made supporting those [antigay] groups."
Update: A publicist for Lady
Gaga confirms the dissolved deal: "Lady Gaga and Target came to a
mutual decision to end their overall exclusive partnership a few weeks
ago," the publicist said in a statement via e-mail.
- WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- WATCH: The Best From 6 Olympic Gay Divers
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court 1 hour 11 sec ago
- HIV & AIDS There Are Other Ways to Prevent HIV Besides Condoms 1 hour 2 min ago
- HIV & AIDS The Crisis in Prevention for the Gay Community 1 hour 3 min ago
- Entertainment News Listen to The Sound Of Music Live Soundtrack with Carrie Underwood 2 hours 4 min ago
- Travel Berlin's Best Neighborhoods: A Primer 2 hours 9 min ago
- Entertainment News James Franco Teases 50 Shades of Batman & Robin 2 hours 55 min ago
- Entertainment News Tom Daley: 'It Really Was Love at First Sight' 10:32 AM