Elizabeth Taylor Dies at 79
BY Advocate.com Editors
March 23 2011 8:25 AM ET
Legendary actress, AIDS activist and LGBT icon Elizabeth Taylor died Wednesday morning in Los Angeles. She was 79.
Her death was confirmed to CBS Radio News and other outlets shortly after 9 a.m eastern time.
Taylor's publicist, Sally Morrison, told the Associated Press that the actress died of congestive heart failure at Cedars-Sinai Hospital. Taylor had been treated for symptoms of the condition in recent weeks.
Taylor's son, Michael Wilding, released the following statement as first reported by ABC News: “My mother was an extraordinary woman who lived life to the fullest, with great passion, humor, and love. Though her loss is devastating to those of us who held her so close and so dear, we will always be inspired by her enduring contribution to our world.”
The Academy Award winner was one of the first stars in Hollywood to publicly address AIDS. She helped to start the American Foundation for AIDS Research (amFAR) after the death of her friend Rock Hudson. She also started her own charity, the Elizabeth Taylor AIDS Foundation. Even in failing health, Taylor was a staple at various charitable fundraisers around the country to fight the disease.
Stay tuned to Advocate.com for more on this developing story.
- The Financial Effects of DOMA: State Versus Federal Law
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- The Many Faces of LGBT Family
- WATCH: Teen Uses Bar Mitzvah Speech to Call for Marriage Equality
- Op-ed: Immigration Goes Beyond Documentation
- Media Edie Windsor is No. 3 on Time's Person of Year Shortlist 10 min 34 sec ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Immigration Goes Beyond Documentation 7:00 AM
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: The Many Faces of LGBT Family 6:00 AM
- Comedy Meet the Lesbian Who Won a Comedy Cage Match 6:00 AM
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular December 10 2013 8:47 PM
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics December 10 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? December 10 2013 7:48 PM