Almodóvar Gets Psychoanalyzed
BY Advocate.com Editors
March 28 2011 1:15 PM ET
On April 16, the University of California, Los Angeles, Department of Biobehavioral Sciences and Psychiatry is analyzing filmmaker Pedro Almodóvar. No, the auteur behind Bad Education, Talk to Her, and Live Flesh (the director is pictured, standing with the film's cast) isn’t in the shrink’s chair. Instead the department, with sponsorship by the New Center for Psychoanalysis, will be presenting a one-day symposium examining Almodóvar’s films from a post-Freudian psychoanalytic perspectives.
“[His] films are like dreams,” said NCP’s Thomas Brod, MD. “There’s anxiety in small measures, and you’re always in identification with the characters, no matter what they’re doing. It’s open to all sorts of possibilities. The visual qualities are so exciting, and there’s plenty to chew on psychoanalytically. So we like to have psychoanalysts from many different kinds of theoretical perspectives discussing it.”
“Mirrors of the Heart: The Films of Pedro Almodóvar” will be a symposium on farce, human relatedness and psychoanalysis. “He gets into primordial processes: boundary crossing, jealousy, rage, possessiveness, revenge,” said Peter Wolson, Ph.D., one of the symposium panelists. “It’s like Marx Brothers comedy gone wild.”
The event is open to the public. For a schedule, click here.
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- Lady Gaga Congratulates Tom Daley, Urges Boycott of Sochi Olympics
- WATCH: What Do These Gay Hockey Players Want for Christmas?
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Glenn Beck Has Gay Friends, So He's Not Intolerant
- WATCH: Pat Robertson Says Pray for Gays 'Recruited' By Child Abuse
- Religion WATCH: Pat Robertson Says Pray for Gays 'Recruited' By Child Abuse 1 hour 18 min ago
- Women WATCH: Idina Menzel's Female Empowerment Anthem from Frozen 1 hour 52 min ago
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: What's the Next Hot Destination? 2 hours 40 min ago
- Internet WATCH: What Do These Gay Hockey Players Want for Christmas? 2:50 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Glenn Beck Has Gay Friends, So He's Not Intolerant 2:44 PM
- Women Op-ed: Remembering Mandela 2:04 PM
- Marriage Equality Illinois Family Institute Compares Marriage Equality to Junk Food 1:21 PM