Antigay Group Boycotts Transgender MTV Character
BY Advocate.com Editors
April 21 2011 10:25 AM ET
The Florida Family Association wants advertisers to boycott the Degrassi: The Next Generation series on MTV because the program delivers a positive portrayal of a young transgender man.
Joe.My.God. reports on the boycott of the series, which airs on MTV’s Teen Nick channel. FFA chairman David Caton made his argument in the following letter to advertisers.
“It is very concerning that your company would knowingly advertise during a television show that condones and promotes transgender lifestyles to an audience that is almost exclusively watched by young teens and children,” wrote Caton. “You would think by the number of episodes that MTV devotes to including the relationship between a female to male transgender high school student and a bi-sexual lesbian student that such relationships are a common occurrence in America’s high schools. The odds of this bizarre relationship occurring in high schools are extremely rare. Yet, MTV feeds this salacious and irresponsible propaganda to an audience made up of almost exclusively young teens and children as if it were common place. MTV airs a free promo for PFLAG on DeGrassi which directs kids to an organization that will encourage our youth to embrace a different sexual identity that may stay with them for life. Will your company continue to advertise on this irresponsible show?”
- Film Queer Fan Art: The Hobbit 16 min 32 sec ago
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: My Father's Daughter 1 hour 46 min ago
- Politics Phobie Awards: The 13 Worst People of the Year 2 hours 46 min ago
- Women 17 Reasons to Swoon Over Androgynous Model Harmony Boucher December 12 2013 8:48 PM
- Travel WestJet Showers Fliers With Holiday Gifts December 12 2013 8:18 PM
- Television 5 Reasons to Plug In to Masters of Sex December 12 2013 7:22 PM
- Travel VIDEO: Travel Helps People Live Longer, Says Study December 12 2013 6:35 PM