Ricky Martin Discusses Struggle With Leno
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 04 2011 9:25 AM ET
Ricky Martin spoke with Jay Leno about the contradiction between his public persona as a straight sex symbol and his private gay life in the years before he came out.
TV Squad reports on the interview, which aired Monday night.
“Being Ricky Martin, what Ricky Martin represented back then and what I was feeling was not compatible at all,” said the author of the autobiography Me. “I was the sex symbol and I needed to dance and I needed to make girls crazy and I couldn't say that I was gay," he said. "It was a lot of struggle."
"What I was feeling, according to what I had in my mind, was evil," he added, before proclaiming that he is very happy to be living an openly gay life today.
Martin even joked about the lack of surprise many people expressed upon his confirmation that he was gay. Watch the interview.
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride 21 min 22 sec ago
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys 47 min 10 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Here's The Most Absurd Thing You Missed in Michigan's Marriage Equality Trial 52 min 13 sec ago
- Uganda As Aid Cuts Continue, Ugandan Officials Not Concerned 1 hour 15 min ago
- Religion Fired Gay Administrator Sues Wash. Catholic School 1 hour 17 min ago
- Women Who the F Is … California Politico Toni Atkins? 2 hours 19 min ago
- Women Op-ed: Why We Need International Women's Day 2 hours 22 min ago