Ricky Martin Discusses Struggle With Leno
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 04 2011 10:25 AM ET
Ricky Martin spoke with Jay Leno about the contradiction between his public persona as a straight sex symbol and his private gay life in the years before he came out.
TV Squad reports on the interview, which aired Monday night.
“Being Ricky Martin, what Ricky Martin represented back then and what I was feeling was not compatible at all,” said the author of the autobiography Me. “I was the sex symbol and I needed to dance and I needed to make girls crazy and I couldn't say that I was gay," he said. "It was a lot of struggle."
"What I was feeling, according to what I had in my mind, was evil," he added, before proclaiming that he is very happy to be living an openly gay life today.
Martin even joked about the lack of surprise many people expressed upon his confirmation that he was gay. Watch the interview.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women Lena Dunham Is NOT Amused By Lesbian Porn Parody of Girls 11 min 1 sec ago
- Music Gay Singer-Songwriter Deals with Heartbreak 13 min 2 sec ago
- Politics Obama Nominates Lesbian Attorney for Second EEOC Term 13 min 31 sec ago
- Theater New Play Criticizes Gay Minstrel Roles 22 min 31 sec ago
- Women Shot of the Day: WildFang's Tomboy Line Channels Androgynous Icons 32 min 22 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Real Lesbians Watch and Break Down 'Lesbian' Porn 41 min 47 sec ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Democrats Throw Queers Under the Bus—Again 1 hour 30 min ago