Ricky Martin Discusses Struggle With Leno
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 04 2011 9:25 AM ET
Ricky Martin spoke with Jay Leno about the contradiction between his public persona as a straight sex symbol and his private gay life in the years before he came out.
TV Squad reports on the interview, which aired Monday night.
“Being Ricky Martin, what Ricky Martin represented back then and what I was feeling was not compatible at all,” said the author of the autobiography Me. “I was the sex symbol and I needed to dance and I needed to make girls crazy and I couldn't say that I was gay," he said. "It was a lot of struggle."
"What I was feeling, according to what I had in my mind, was evil," he added, before proclaiming that he is very happy to be living an openly gay life today.
Martin even joked about the lack of surprise many people expressed upon his confirmation that he was gay. Watch the interview.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court
- WATCH: Rep. Polis's Epic Blowup on House Floor Over Immigration
- Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too
- Gay News, LGBT Rights, Politics, Entertainment | The Advocate
- Women WATCH: Lesbians Explain How Lesbians Have Sex - with Visual Aids! December 05 2013 7:57 PM
- Travel Why Travelers Love Palm Springs Airport December 05 2013 7:33 PM
- Travel Turkish Bazaar Opening on Vegas Strip December 05 2013 7:12 PM
- Women WATCH: Nurse: 3D is the Epic Lesbian Exploitation Hospital Thriller of the Year! December 05 2013 6:54 PM
- No More Bullying WATCH: It Gets Better Speaks to Russian LGBT Youth December 05 2013 6:33 PM
- World News LGBT Rights Are 'Essential Part' of U.S. Foreign Policy, Says Susan Rice December 05 2013 6:15 PM
- Marriage Equality Judge Expected to Rule on Utah Marriage Ban Early Next Year December 05 2013 6:00 PM