90210's Trevor Donovan on His Return to the Teen Soap and His Friendship With the Dalai Lama
BY Neal Broverman
May 15 2012 3:40 PM ET
You attended the recent 12th World Summit of Nobel Peace Laureates in Chicago, with Bill Clinton and the Dalai Lama in attendance. What was that like?
I mean, wow! I'm just a mountain boy from Mammoth and now I'm eating salad with the Dalai Lama and drinking vodka with Mikhail Gorbachev. I have my manager, along with Kerry and Ethel Kennedy, to thank for that. Kerry had us perform "Speak Truth to Power," a project of the Robert F. Kennedy Center for Justice and Human Rights. It's a multifaceted global initiative that uses the experiences of courageous defenders from around the world to educate students and others about human rights, and urge them to take action. Issues range from slavery and environmental activism to religious self-determination and political participation. We are doing another one in June at the Kennedy compound in Hyannis Port, Mass. I'm very excited to visit and stay at the house where JFK and RFK grew up, and maybe play some touch football as well.
Perez Hilton has started an unofficial campaign to get you cast as Finnick in the next Hunger Games movie. Thoughts?
I'm humbled and honored, but most of all excited, because Mario [Lavandeira, a.k.a. Perez] is a good guy. All actors have a dream role; playing Finnick Odair is mine. I know the odds are stacked against me. I'll be going up against big stars like Zac Efron and Armie Hammer, but you know what, I want it more and am very passionate about it, it's not just another job to me, it's much more than that. I'm not saying that it is for them. I was a fan before anyone knew the Hunger Games series would be made into movies. I read all the books the day they first came out and knew right there and then I wanted to play Finnick. I'm definitely the underdog in this race, but I'm committed and going to give it all I've got. As Effie Trinket says, "May the odds be ever in your favor."
What is your next project?
Two projects I recently finished: I have a small role in the upcoming Oliver Stone film, Savages. I play a character named Matt. He's a California surfer who is dating Magda, daughter of Salma Hayek's character, who gets hogtied by Aaron Johnson and Taylor Kitsch. I originally auditioned for another role that was cut, but Oliver saw my tape, liked it, and wrote me in a role that wasn't in the book. I was recently offered a role to play a country music star, and I had the opportunity to sing and play guitar, so I did it. That comes out in August. The title is currently being changed; I'll have to get back to you on that one, but follow me on Twitter @trevdon; I update stuff on there, along with other senseless ramblings. Oh, I also wrote the music to the song I sing in the movie. The production liked the song so much they bought it from me. I had a great time. Future projects — well, I don't want to get ahead of myself, but something is in the works. I'll let you know when — if — it happens.
90210 airs Tuesdays at 8 p.m. Eastern.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Rep. Polis's Epic Blowup on House Floor Over Immigration
- WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- Gay News, LGBT Rights, Politics, Entertainment | The Advocate
- Guillermo Diaz: Pinup Boy
- Women WATCH: Lesbians Explain How Lesbians Have Sex - with Visual Aids! December 05 2013 7:57 PM
- Travel Why Travelers Love Palm Springs Airport December 05 2013 7:33 PM
- Travel Turkish Bazaar Opening on Vegas Strip December 05 2013 7:12 PM
- Women WATCH: Nurse: 3D is the Epic Lesbian Exploitation Hospital Thriller of the Year! December 05 2013 6:54 PM
- No More Bullying WATCH: It Gets Better Speaks to Russian LGBT Youth December 05 2013 6:33 PM
- World News LGBT Rights Are 'Essential Part' of U.S. Foreign Policy, Says Susan Rice December 05 2013 6:15 PM
- Marriage Equality Judge Expected to Rule on Utah Marriage Ban Early Next Year December 05 2013 6:00 PM