WATCH: Gay Heavy Metal, Trans Films, Queer Comics, and Butch Voices
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
October 20 2013 7:25 AM ET
Biopic on Michael Alago, the Gay Guy Behind Metallica
Michael Alago is the gay music executive responsible for signing Metallica, White Zombie, and others. Filmmaker Drew Stone's biopic tells the uniquely American story of Alago’s journey from humble roots in Brooklyn, into the netherworld of downtown New York’s music and arts scene in the 1970s and 1980s.
Alago rose from running the Dead Boy’s fan club to becoming a live booker at the legendary Ritz nightclub and then onto a storied A&R career at Elektra Records, Geffen Records and Palm Pictures, where he signed and executive produced acts as diverse as Metallica, White Zombie, Flotsam and Jetsam, PiL, Cyndi Lauper, and Nina Simone.
The film is worth a gander especially for the amazing photos of Alago (who looks like he's 12 years old in his early shots of him with rockers like U2's Bono) and to hear how Alago succeeded professionally as a gay man in a metal music sub-culture known for its perceived homophobia.
- WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video
- Wives Want To Know If Their Husbands Are Gay
- WATCH: Lesbian Friend Might Convert Kids, Says Pat Robertson
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- WATCH: Melissa Etheridge Debuts New Anthem Supporting LGBT Russians
- Women 17 Reasons to Swoon Over Androgynous Model Harmony Boucher 2 hours 40 min ago
- Travel WestJet Showers Fliers With Holiday Gifts 8:18 PM
- Television 5 Reasons to Plug In to Masters of Sex 7:22 PM
- Travel VIDEO: Travel Helps People Live Longer, Says Study 6:35 PM
- Music WATCH: Melissa Etheridge Debuts Song to Help Gay Russians 6:08 PM
- Religion WATCH: Lesbian Friend Might Convert Kids, Warns Robertson 6:03 PM
- Women 3 Gay Lady-Related Golden Globe Nominations that Make Us Happy! 4:20 PM