WATCH: Gay Heavy Metal, Trans Films, Queer Comics, and Butch Voices
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
October 20 2013 8:25 AM ET
Biopic on Michael Alago, the Gay Guy Behind Metallica
Michael Alago is the gay music executive responsible for signing Metallica, White Zombie, and others. Filmmaker Drew Stone's biopic tells the uniquely American story of Alago’s journey from humble roots in Brooklyn, into the netherworld of downtown New York’s music and arts scene in the 1970s and 1980s.
Alago rose from running the Dead Boy’s fan club to becoming a live booker at the legendary Ritz nightclub and then onto a storied A&R career at Elektra Records, Geffen Records and Palm Pictures, where he signed and executive produced acts as diverse as Metallica, White Zombie, Flotsam and Jetsam, PiL, Cyndi Lauper, and Nina Simone.
The film is worth a gander especially for the amazing photos of Alago (who looks like he's 12 years old in his early shots of him with rockers like U2's Bono) and to hear how Alago succeeded professionally as a gay man in a metal music sub-culture known for its perceived homophobia.
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen March 11 2014 8:40 PM
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival March 11 2014 7:17 PM
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference March 11 2014 7:02 PM
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families March 11 2014 6:45 PM
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia March 11 2014 6:27 PM
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis March 11 2014 6:25 PM
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 March 11 2014 5:55 PM