WATCH: Gay Heavy Metal, Trans Films, Queer Comics, and Butch Voices
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
October 20 2013 8:25 AM ET
Help The San Francisco Transgender Film Fest Return to the Roxy
The San Francisco Transgender Film Festival made history as North America’s first transgender film festival in 1997 – and has built community, launched careers, and mentored emerging transgender filmmakers and festivals around the world while screening films that promote the visibility of transgender and gender variant people and challenge mainstream media stereotypes of our communities.
They need help this year, to pay for the theater rental and tech crew to the tune of $7,500 by Nov. 2. The 12th San Francisco Transgender Film Festival will take place November 8-10.
After selling out each year, the fest is moving back to the famed Roxie Theater, a move that organizers say is "especially important this year – as our community was heartbroken by the December 2012 death of SFTFF co-founder Christopher Lee. Christopher was a pioneering FTM transgender filmmaker, activist and community leader. Christopher made the world’s first feature film starring FTM people of color and the first-ever FTM trans adult films."
Donations to the fest are tax-deductible as well.
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Pet Shop Boys Remix Irish Drag Queen's Powerful Speech Against Homophobia
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays?
- Current Issue Editor’s Letter: April/May Issue 48 min 50 sec ago
- Parenting Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays? 1 hour 50 min ago
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist March 10 2014 7:44 PM