WATCH: Gay Heavy Metal, Trans Films, Queer Comics, and Butch Voices
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
October 20 2013 7:25 AM ET
Help The San Francisco Transgender Film Fest Return to the Roxy
The San Francisco Transgender Film Festival made history as North America’s first transgender film festival in 1997 – and has built community, launched careers, and mentored emerging transgender filmmakers and festivals around the world while screening films that promote the visibility of transgender and gender variant people and challenge mainstream media stereotypes of our communities.
They need help this year, to pay for the theater rental and tech crew to the tune of $7,500 by Nov. 2. The 12th San Francisco Transgender Film Festival will take place November 8-10.
After selling out each year, the fest is moving back to the famed Roxie Theater, a move that organizers say is "especially important this year – as our community was heartbroken by the December 2012 death of SFTFF co-founder Christopher Lee. Christopher was a pioneering FTM transgender filmmaker, activist and community leader. Christopher made the world’s first feature film starring FTM people of color and the first-ever FTM trans adult films."
Donations to the fest are tax-deductible as well.
- Phobie Awards: The 13 Worst People of the Year
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Senate Republicans Introduce 'License to Discriminate' Bill
- WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video
- Op-ed: The Other Obligation That Comes With HIV
- India's Sodomy Ban Incites 'Day of Rage' Among Activists
- Politics India's Sodomy Ban Incites 'Day of Rage' Among Activists 34 min 42 sec ago
- Activism Queers for Economic Justice Announces Closure 36 min 58 sec ago
- Entertainment News Johnny Weir Scrubs His Bio of Russian Government Work 1 hour 44 min ago
- Transgender HHS to Reevaluate Ban on Gender-Confirming Surgeries 1 hour 49 min ago
- Television WATCH: Ian McKellen Strolls Down Sesame Street 2 hours 18 min ago
- Women WATCH: Mary Lambert's Version of 'Teenage Dirtbag' is a Lesbian Love Song! 2 hours 39 min ago
- Marriage Equality Senate Republicans Introduce 'License to Discriminate' Bill 2 hours 48 min ago