BY Bryan Ochalla
August 26 2009 1:00 PM ET
That said, gay gamers shouldn’t expect titles featuring LGBT characters and story lines to flood the market anytime soon.
“We've yet to see a game featuring a gay lead who's fully realized and isn't a pixelated stereotype,” Edison says before adding that he doesn't see “anyone at a big company greenlighting that kind of game just yet.”
Brathwaite is a bit more optimistic.
“The moment is coming,” she assures us, though it won’t arrive until “more gay game developers enter the industry and involve themselves in the process.” Until that happens, “a bunch of straight guys will be trying to make games for the gay community, just like they used to try to make games for women.”
That’s a problem, she adds, because “I don’t think most straight developers, including myself, know what gay men and women want in a video game.”
Involving gay game developers in the process won’t solve all of the industry’s problems, of course.
“We also have to stop putting things into games that turn off gay players,” Brathwaite says. For example, “how many games have you played that put you in control of a male character and then asked you to save a princess?”
LGBT characters and story lines shouldn’t be slipped into each and every game, she adds, but “in certain circumstances it not only makes sense but makes the game a richer, more enjoyable experience for everyone.”
- WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- PHOTOS: India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban
- 10 Snarky Quotes That Will Make You Miss Michael Kors on Project Runway
- The Queer Quotient at the SAG Awards
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Colo. Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus 25 min 24 sec ago
- Travel What Airline Scored 100% on HRC's Corporate Equality Index? 25 min 33 sec ago
- Entertainment News The Queer Quotient at the SAG Awards 1 hour 7 min ago
- Entertainment News GQ Germany Features Famous Straight Men Kissing for Tolerance 2 hours 42 min ago
- Women WATCH: Kim Stolz's Ridiculously Beautiful Wedding Video 3:34 PM
- Politics N.J. Legislature Could Enshrine Marriage Equality into State Law 3:17 PM
- Transgender Coalition Still Short in Bid to Repeal Calif. Trans Student Law 3:09 PM