BY Bryan Ochalla
August 26 2009 2:00 PM ET
That said, gay gamers shouldn’t expect titles featuring LGBT characters and story lines to flood the market anytime soon.
“We've yet to see a game featuring a gay lead who's fully realized and isn't a pixelated stereotype,” Edison says before adding that he doesn't see “anyone at a big company greenlighting that kind of game just yet.”
Brathwaite is a bit more optimistic.
“The moment is coming,” she assures us, though it won’t arrive until “more gay game developers enter the industry and involve themselves in the process.” Until that happens, “a bunch of straight guys will be trying to make games for the gay community, just like they used to try to make games for women.”
That’s a problem, she adds, because “I don’t think most straight developers, including myself, know what gay men and women want in a video game.”
Involving gay game developers in the process won’t solve all of the industry’s problems, of course.
“We also have to stop putting things into games that turn off gay players,” Brathwaite says. For example, “how many games have you played that put you in control of a male character and then asked you to save a princess?”
LGBT characters and story lines shouldn’t be slipped into each and every game, she adds, but “in certain circumstances it not only makes sense but makes the game a richer, more enjoyable experience for everyone.”
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Op-ed: In Defense of Jared Leto
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books 1 hour 43 min ago
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions 3:04 PM
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM