Vegas Ups the Ante
BY Ross von Metzke
February 09 2010 10:00 AM ET
Set back from the Strip’s bustle, the 57-story, all-suite Vdara also takes the smoke-free, gaming-free path, wooing its guests with a 40,000-square-foot elevated pool and lounge and an eco-conscious spa. It’s no surprise that in a town where fortunes are easily made, green is CityCen-ter’s color of choice. The 18 million-square-foot project received Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design certification based on its sustainable site development, materials, energy efficiency, water savings, and indoor environmental quality.
The final tower on the scene, the icy-blue Harmon, is the sole reminder of a lengthy construction process that weathered its share of delays and bankruptcy rumors; condos are no longer part of the mix, and the tower will open in late 2010 as a 400-room luxury hotel.
One of the best features of the development is the prices that come with all the new rooms. CityCenter has added a whopping 6,000 hotel rooms to a city that wasn’t hurting for them to begin with. With room rates drastically reduced, the off-season has become nonexistent. There are unbelievable bargains to be easily struck simply by calling hotels directly. For example, compare rates for the March 26-28 weekend at the Mandarin Oriental ($375 per night) with the same hotel in New York ($795 per night).
Some might be surprised that City- Center made it to opening day at all in the middle of a U.S. economic meltdown, but it’s all just a little bit of Strip history repeating. If it weren’t a gamble, it wouldn’t be Vegas.
- Op-ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth
- Boston: Major Beer Sponsor Pulls Out of St. Pat's Parade
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Ready and Looking: The Dilemma of a 20-Something
- Vox Editor in Chief Defends Hiring of 'Homophobic' Gay Writer
- HHS Orders Insurers to Cover All Married Same-Sex Couples
- Women The 31 Most Eligible Out Women of 2014 12 min 11 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages 13 min 42 sec ago
- Film Is Terence Davies' The Long Day Closes the Greatest Gay Film Ever Made? 1 hour 22 min ago
- Media Vox Editor in Chief Defends Hiring of 'Homophobic' Gay Writer 2 hours 16 min ago
- Health HHS Orders Insurers to Cover All Married Same-Sex Couples 2 hours 39 min ago
- Politics Big Repub Donors Fund Push for ENDA 3:32 PM
- Love and Sex Ready and Looking: The Dilemma of a 20-Something 3:30 PM