Holidays—It Should Be So Nice
BY Advocate Contributors
October 13 2010 4:00 AM ET
Extending your altruism beyond volunteering at the soup kitchen
Be creative around the holidays. Everyone is feeling generous, and most of us have more than we need. Find an organization or cause about which you feel passionate and ask what it needs. For your holiday party, rather than another set of reindeer napkin rings, ask your guests to help meet the organization’s wish list. Be sure to send your guests an update on how your contribution was put to use. On our Caribbean cruise last fall, we created a children’s library in Belize with books from our guests and replaced two computers at a children’s learning center in Honduras. Guests who participated in those projects paid it forward when they got home: One collected money to send seven more computers to the e-learning centers in Honduras, and another asked guests for children’s books to send to our library in Belize.
Shannon Wentworth, chief executive of Sweet, a lesbian travel company that offers activism-inspired trips (DiscoverSweet.com)
- EXCLUSIVE: Bette Midler Covers TLC's 'Waterfalls'
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- 7 Absurd Legal 'Arguments' Against Marriage Equality From a Straight Couple in Kansas
- QUIZ: Are You Afraid of Gay PDA?
- Michigan: GOP Candidate With Felony-Fetish Arrests Warns Against 'Homosexual Agenda'
- Alaska Appeals As Marriage Equality Heads South?