BY Brandon Voss
March 18 2011 1:00 PM ET
4. FILM: Cracks
In theaters March 18, this dark drama stars a mesmerizing Eva Green as Miss G, an unconventional diving instructor who develops a dangerous sexual obsession on a new student, an enigmatic Spanish girl played by María Valverde, at a British girls’ boarding school in 1934. Coproduced by Christine Vachon, this exquisite directorial debut from Jordan Scott — Ridley Scott’s daughter — simmers sumptuously with sinister suspense.
3. THEATER: Priscilla Queen of the Desert and The Book of Mormon
Out stage vets Nick Adams and Tony Sheldon join Hair’s Will Swenson as the drag divas aboard Priscilla, which opens March 20 at Broadway’s Palace Theatre. In The Book of Mormon, a musical from South Park’s creators opening March 24 at Broadway’s Eugene O’Neill Theatre, out Broadway Impact cofounder Rory O’Malley plays a closeted Mormon missionary who sings about squelching his gay urges in “Turn It Off.”
2. BOOK: It Gets Better
Dan Savage’s YouTube campaign against LGBT youth bullying and suicide just got even better. Edited by Savage with partner Terry Miller, this book collects more than 100 inspirational essays from ordinary folks and celebrities like Tim Gunn and President Obama. Proceeds from the book, out March 22, will benefit LGBT youth charities, and a donation to ItGetsBetterProject.com can put a copy in a school library of your choice.
- #TBT: Selling the Male Body
- WATCH: Alabama Jails, Fines Minister After Performing Lesbian Wedding
- Where in the World Are the Happiest Gay Men?
- Poised for Perfection: Sgt. Shane Ortega Puts a Face to the Transgender Military Ban
- New Report Underlines Savage Inequalities Faced by LGBT Americans
- REPORT: Bisexuals Face Biphobia at Doctor's Office, LGBT Groups