BY Brandon Voss
April 08 2011 6:50 PM ET
7. DVD: Alex and Leo, The Taqwacores, XX: Where the Heart Should Be, Straightman
Four sexy indies are worth a look this week: Alex and Leo, a sweet German-language gay rom-com, stars hot model-porn star Marcel Schlutt; The Taqwacores peeks into Buffalo’s Muslim punk scene, which includes “queer punks”; Frisk’s Todd Verow returns with XX, 20 edgy shorts about gays screwing in the apocalypse’s shadow; and Ben Berkowitz’s gritty straight-gay buddy comedy Straightman gets a remastered 10th anniversary edition.
6. MUSIC: Love Boutique, Keo Nozari
“If you’re shopping for a good time, you’ve got the right address,” Nozari sings on his stylishly playful new sophomore album. But the out singer-songwriter-DJ complements shamelessly superficial dance-pop like “Private Party” with the upbeat self-empowerment of “Acceptable 2 U.” “House of Mirrors,” with its chorus of “I think you best look at yourself before you’re hatin’ on me,” may just be the fiercest antibullying anthem ever.
5. MUSIC: Priscilla Queen of the Desert
The sequined exuberance shines through on this new original cast recording, which is perfect for fans who can’t score tickets to the Broadway jukebox musical — or for those who prefer their drag shows without corny sight gags and raunchy double entendre. Highlights include “True Colors,” “We Belong,” “Go West,” Nick Adams on “Material Girl,” and a sappy father-son mash-up of “Say a Little Prayer" and “Always on My Mind.”
- Iowa Couple Plans 1,000 Antigay Billboards
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Texas Gay Man, 32, Dies in Custody After Being Denied Medication
- The True Meaning of the Word 'Cisgender'
- 10 Tips on Growing Older for LGBT People Under 40
- UFC Women's Champ Refuses to Fight Trans Athlete Fallon Fox