BY Brandon Voss
April 08 2011 5:50 PM ET
4. THEATER: Gay Plays for Straight People (And Also Gay People)
Purple Rep artistic directors and playwrights Mariah MacCarthy and Larry Kunofsky present two hetero-friendly pro-gay plays running in rep starting April 8 at New York’s Paradise Factory. The All-American Genderf*ck Cabaret explores sexual identity and the limitations of gender norms among a group of 20-somethings, and The Un-Marrying Project focuses on married straight couples who get divorced in support of gay marriage.
3. BOOK: The Complete Wendel, Howard Cruse
Originally published in The Advocate throughout the 1980s, Cruse’s groundbreaking gay comic strip series “Wendel,” which found humor in gay sex during the AIDS era, was a reality-rooted chronicle of an average gay man’s journey through the rocky Reagan-Bush years. Collecting every strip, this essential edition includes a foreword by Cruse, an intro by Dykes to Watch Out For’s Alison Bechdel, and a fun “where are they now?” section.
2. TV: Happy Endings
Premiering April 13 on ABC, this new single-camera comedy focuses on how friends cope when a couple within their circle breaks up on their wedding day. Upright Citizens Brigade vet Adam Pally plays Max, the group’s schlubby gay friend who’s still sensitive about his parents’ divorce and his weight problems in college. Elisha Cuthbert and SNL alum Casey Wilson costar in the series, which also includes an interracial couple.
- BREAKING: Utah Marriage Ban Unconstitutional
- The Advocate's Person of the Year: Pope Francis
- Duck Dynasty May Be Over After Antigay Tirade
- WATCH: Jon Stewart 'Sort of' Stands With Fox News in Defending Duck Dynasty Star
- Fab or Fail? 2013's Cultural Ups and Downs
- Have We Got Matthew Shepard All Wrong?
- Transgender New Jersey Senate Passes Transgender Birth Certificate Bill 1 hour 14 min ago
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Best of Art, 2013 2 hours 13 min ago
- World News Ugandan LGBT Activists: 'We Have to Stay and Fight' December 20 2013 8:57 PM
- Marriage Equality Photo from Utah: First Gay Couple Married December 20 2013 7:40 PM
- Women LISTEN: Out Folk Duo Hannah & Maggie's Lesbian Love Letter to Mrs. Claus December 20 2013 6:46 PM
- Women INTERVIEW: Welcome to the Age of Mary Lambert December 20 2013 4:55 PM
- Style Daily Crush: Out Russian Olympics T-Shirt December 20 2013 4:48 PM