BY Brandon Voss
April 08 2011 5:50 PM ET
4. THEATER: Gay Plays for Straight People (And Also Gay People)
Purple Rep artistic directors and playwrights Mariah MacCarthy and Larry Kunofsky present two hetero-friendly pro-gay plays running in rep starting April 8 at New York’s Paradise Factory. The All-American Genderf*ck Cabaret explores sexual identity and the limitations of gender norms among a group of 20-somethings, and The Un-Marrying Project focuses on married straight couples who get divorced in support of gay marriage.
3. BOOK: The Complete Wendel, Howard Cruse
Originally published in The Advocate throughout the 1980s, Cruse’s groundbreaking gay comic strip series “Wendel,” which found humor in gay sex during the AIDS era, was a reality-rooted chronicle of an average gay man’s journey through the rocky Reagan-Bush years. Collecting every strip, this essential edition includes a foreword by Cruse, an intro by Dykes to Watch Out For’s Alison Bechdel, and a fun “where are they now?” section.
2. TV: Happy Endings
Premiering April 13 on ABC, this new single-camera comedy focuses on how friends cope when a couple within their circle breaks up on their wedding day. Upright Citizens Brigade vet Adam Pally plays Max, the group’s schlubby gay friend who’s still sensitive about his parents’ divorce and his weight problems in college. Elisha Cuthbert and SNL alum Casey Wilson costar in the series, which also includes an interracial couple.
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return 6:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith 4:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 7:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 7:25 PM
- Marriage Equality Here's The Most Absurd Thing You Missed in Michigan's Marriage Equality Trial March 07 2014 7:20 PM
- Uganda As Aid Cuts Continue, Ugandan Officials Not Concerned March 07 2014 6:57 PM
- Religion Fired Gay Administrator Sues Wash. Catholic School March 07 2014 6:55 PM