BY Brandon Voss
April 22 2011 12:10 AM ET
7. DVD: I Want What I Want
Based on Geoff Brown’s 1966 novel, John Dexter’s controversial 1972 film about a transgender woman is now available on DVD. Acclaimed British actress Anne Heywood won raves for her portrayal of Roy, a young English bloke who works in real estate and lives with his widowed father. Roy starts overcoming his loneliness and depression when he adopts a new identity as a woman named Wendy and soon falls in love with a man.
6. BOOKS: Tenn at One Hundred: The Reputation of Tennessee Williams; Dinner with Tennessee Williams: Recipes and Stories Inspired by America’s Southern Playwright; Tennessee Williams and Company: His Essential Screen Actors; and The World of Tennessee Williams: Revised and Updated
Recently released in honor of what would have been the 100th birthday of Tennessee Williams, these four books compile essays on how the great gay playwright’s reputation was made and manipulated; materialize the piquant flavor in his writing; examine his work through the performances and careers of collaborators like Elizabeth Taylor and Marlon Brando; and freshen up his essential 1978 hardcover biography in paperback.
5. FILM: 2011 Tribeca Film Festival
The downtown New York fest, which runs through May 1, features many LGBT-interest films this year: Emily Deschanel stars as the lesbian daughter of Kathleen Turner’s Catholic mother in The Perfect Family; The Ballad of Genesis and Lady Jaye documents the quest of performance artist Genesis P-Orridge and his wife to literally become one; and the “year in the life” doc The Bully Project puts faces on America’s bullying crisis.
- Why These Four Justices Rejected Marriage Equality
- Girl Scouts Return $100K When Donor Demands It 'Not Be Used' For Trans Girls
- WATCH: Mississippi Clerk Refuses to Wed Gay Couples, Quits After 24 Years
- Texas Pastor Who Threatened to Set Himself Aflame Now 'Loves' Gays
- George Takei Takes on Clarence Thomas and Donald Trump (and Wins!)
- Girl Scouts Raise $100,000 in One Day After Dropping Transphobic Donor