BY Brandon Voss
April 22 2011 12:10 AM ET
4. DVD: The Stonewall Uprising
Based on David Carter’s book Stonewall: The Riots That Sparked the Gay Revolution and produced for the PBS American Experience series, this deft documentary by Emmy-winning filmmakers David Heilbroner and Kate Davis stresses the importance of June 28, 1969, through amazing archival footage and inspiring interviews with riot participants and Stonewall Inn patrons. The film airs on PBS April 25, one day before its DVD release.
3. FILM: Beautiful Darling
In limited release April 22, James Rasin’s stylishly sentimental documentary spotlights late trans starlet Candy Darling, a fixture of Andy Warhol’s Factory scene. We hear about Lou Reed’s muse through interviews with folks like Fran Leibowitz and John Waters, but we really get to know her through telling anecdotes from Jeremiah Newton, Darling’s close friend and roommate, and from hearing Darling’s diaries read by Chloë Sevigny.
2. TV: Cinema Verite
Premiering April 23, this HBO film pries deeper behind the scenes of the landmark 1973 PBS series An American Family, which is widely considered the first example of reality television. Kaboom’s Thomas Dekker stars as the exposed family’s son Lance Loud, a flamboyant rebel who later fronted the Mumps and wrote an Advocate column. Though he never actually came out on camera, he’s often credited as the first gay man on TV.
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen 2 hours 10 min ago
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival 7:17 PM
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference 7:02 PM
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families 6:45 PM
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia 6:27 PM
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis 6:25 PM
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 5:55 PM