BY Brandon Voss
April 21 2011 11:10 PM ET
4. DVD: The Stonewall Uprising
Based on David Carter’s book Stonewall: The Riots That Sparked the Gay Revolution and produced for the PBS American Experience series, this deft documentary by Emmy-winning filmmakers David Heilbroner and Kate Davis stresses the importance of June 28, 1969, through amazing archival footage and inspiring interviews with riot participants and Stonewall Inn patrons. The film airs on PBS April 25, one day before its DVD release.
3. FILM: Beautiful Darling
In limited release April 22, James Rasin’s stylishly sentimental documentary spotlights late trans starlet Candy Darling, a fixture of Andy Warhol’s Factory scene. We hear about Lou Reed’s muse through interviews with folks like Fran Leibowitz and John Waters, but we really get to know her through telling anecdotes from Jeremiah Newton, Darling’s close friend and roommate, and from hearing Darling’s diaries read by Chloë Sevigny.
2. TV: Cinema Verite
Premiering April 23, this HBO film pries deeper behind the scenes of the landmark 1973 PBS series An American Family, which is widely considered the first example of reality television. Kaboom’s Thomas Dekker stars as the exposed family’s son Lance Loud, a flamboyant rebel who later fronted the Mumps and wrote an Advocate column. Though he never actually came out on camera, he’s often credited as the first gay man on TV.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Rep. Polis's Epic Blowup on House Floor Over Immigration
- Gay News, LGBT Rights, Politics, Entertainment | The Advocate
- WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- WATCH: New 'It Gets Better' Campaign Aimed at Russian LGBT Youth
- Women WATCH: Lesbians Explain How Lesbians Have Sex - with Visual Aids! 2 hours 54 min ago
- Travel Why Travelers Love Palm Springs Airport 7:33 PM
- Travel Turkish Bazaar Opening on Vegas Strip 7:12 PM
- Women WATCH: Nurse: 3D is the Epic Lesbian Exploitation Hospital Thriller of the Year! 6:54 PM
- No More Bullying WATCH: It Gets Better Speaks to Russian LGBT Youth 6:33 PM
- World News LGBT Rights Are 'Essential Part' of U.S. Foreign Policy, Says Susan Rice 6:15 PM
- Marriage Equality Judge Expected to Rule on Utah Marriage Ban Early Next Year 6:00 PM