BY Brandon Voss
May 06 2011 1:20 PM ET
10. TV: Lady Gaga Presents the Monster Ball Tour at Madison Square Garden
If you learn nothing else from this new concert documentary, know that Lady Gaga will not be destroyed — not even by those who will call the special, which airs May 7 on HBO, a rip-off of Madonna’s Truth or Dare with its scandalous performances and black-and-white backstage footage of tears, prayers, and gay backup dancers. “It’s crazy ’cause we’re at the Garden,” she sobs, “but I still sometimes feel like a loser kid in high school.”
9. BOOKS: The Picture of Dorian Gray: An Annotated, Uncensored Edition, Oscar Wilde; From Here to Eternity: The Restored Edition, James Jones
Editor Nicholas Frankel uncovers Wilde’s original typescript as it was submitted in 1890 for publication in Lippincott’s Monthly Magazine, reintroducing excised homoerotic lines like “It is quite true I have worshipped you with far more romance of feeling than a man should ever give to a friend.” Likewise, a new e-book of Jones’s 1951 novel reinstates the author’s more realistic depictions of military life, including two scenes with gay content.
8. MUSIC: LOVE? Jennifer Lopez; Crazy Little Things, Lynda Carter; The Ultimate Collection, Sade; In Your Dreams, Stevie Nicks
Divas alert: No “Louboutins” on J.Lo’s latest, but Lady Gaga collaborations “Hypnotico” and “Invading My Mind” will get you on the floor; Miss Carter puts a smooth, jazzy spin on eccentric classics like “The Loco-motion”; the first Nicks album in a decade features resurrected Rumours demo “Secret Love” and a track inspired by Twilight: New Moon; and Sade’s two-disc retrospective includes a new “Moon and the Sky” remix with Jay-Z.
- World Record Bodybuilder Comes Out as Trans
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Brokeback Mountain: The 10th Anniversary of a Gay Classic
- 10 Things People Living With HIV Are Sick of Hearing
- Historic Night at Golden Crown Literary Awards
- The 'Ex-Gay' Candidate for Missouri Governor