BY Brandon Voss
May 13 2011 5:50 PM ET
7. MUSIC: Queen 40
To commemorate Queen’s 40th anniversary — and the 20th anniversary of frontman Freddie Mercury’s death — this limited-edition collector’s box set, an Amazon.com exclusive, includes the iconic British band’s first five studio albums (Queen, Queen II, Sheer Heart Attack, A Night At the Opera, and A Day At the Races) each remastered in deluxe two-CD reissues with rare bonus material like previously unreleased demos.
6. DVD: Fest Selects: Best Gay and Lesbian Shorts, Vol. 1
Out May 17, these two essential collections showcase an impressive variety of the best LGBT short films culled from the past few years of the international festival circuit. For boys, highlights include Jonathan Lisecki’s Gayby, Eldar Rapaport’s Steam, and Alain Hain’s Curious Thing. Ladies get Kate Brandt’s Tools 4 Fools, Gina Hirsch’s You Move Me, and Chris Russo’s 25 Random Things I Did During My Big Fat Lesbian Depression.
5. FILM: L’Amour Fou
Yves Saint Laurent and Pierre Bergé met at Christian Dior’s funeral in 1957, and the rest is history that director Pierre Thoretton lovingly details in this intimate French-language documentary, which opens May 13. With home movies and archival footage of runway shows, the film focuses on the French-Algerian couturier’s 50-year relationship with Bergé, who prepares to auction off their enviable art collection after YSL’s 2008 death.
- Op-ed: Be a Lady, Not a Tramp
- Playwright Responds to N.C. High School That Canceled Play Due to Gay Scene
- Last-Minute Gift Ideas for the Catholic Who Suddenly Wants to Be Friends
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- WATCH: Ruth Bader Ginsburg Sees 'No Crying Need' for SCOTUS to Take Up Marriage
- Op-ed: How the Voices of Children Have Helped Turn the Tide on Marriage Equality