BY Brandon Voss
May 20 2011 5:10 PM ET
7. EVENT: OutMusic Awards
The seventh annual OutMusic Awards — the LGBT music industry’s Grammys — will be presented May 23 at Live Nation’s Irving Plaza in New York with Kalup Linzy, Lori Michaels, Justin Utley, and Rachael Sage among this year’s nominees. Out country crooner Chely Wright and Marsha Ambrosius, whose “Far Away” video addressed gay suicide, will receive special awards. For tickets and more info, visit outmusicawards.com.
6. FILM: Florent: Queen of the Meat Market
David Sigal serves up a starry, spicy slice of LGBT history in this bittersweet tribute, which opens May 20 in New York. By interviewing its most famous patrons, the out filmmaker documents the final months of Florent, an iconic Manhattan diner ruled by charismatic gay owner Florent Morellet, an HIV-positive equal rights and AIDS activist with a sweet tooth for drag parties and posting his T-cell count above the daily special.
5. THEATER: Lucky Guy
Why don’t Leslie Jordan and Varla Jean Merman star in every musical comedy? Lucky for those who can get to off-Broadway’s Little Shubert Theatre, the Will & Grace pixie and drag giant are a campy hoot in Willard Beckham’s tuner about a car salesman and a country diva who try to steal a hit song from a Nashville newbie played by out actor Kyle Dean Massey, whose fine voice, effortless charm, and tight jeans almost steal the show.
- 7 Immediate Examples of Backlash to Indiana's 'Religious Freedom'
- Audra McDonald Rips Indiana Governor Over Law
- Trans Teen Activist, Former Homecoming King, Dies in Charlotte, N.C.
- Gov. Mike Pence Just Gave Indiana a 'License to Discriminate'
- 12 Celebrities Who Said the “F” Word
- George Takei Joins Gamers in Shunning Indiana