BY Brandon Voss
May 27 2011 3:40 PM ET
10. EVENT: Golden GRRRLS, A Night of 100 Drag Performers
On June 3 at the Epic Event Center in Minneapolis — which The Advocate recently named the gayest city in America — headliner Jackie Beat, cohost Todd Walker, and DJ Wendy Hunt will lead a parade of queens who plan to break the Guinness world record for the most drag artists in a single performance. All proceeds will benefit the Aliveness Project, which provides services and programs to people with HIV or AIDS.
9. DVD: Burning Palms
Among the twisted and taboo-filled L.A. stories in this edgy directorial debut by out filmmaker Christopher B. Landon — Disturbia writer and son of Michael Landon — Six Feet Under’s Peter Macdissi and Corpus Christi’s Anson Mount play a wealthy West Hollywood gay couple who decide to bring home the ultimate accessory, a African child, for all the wrong reasons. Shannen Doherty, Dylan McDermott, and Zoe Saldana costar.
8. TV: Platinum Hit
Kara DioGuardi and Jewel judge this new songwriting competition, which debuts May 30 on Bravo, in which a dozen musicians compete to win $100,000, a publishing deal with songwriting collective the Writing Camp, and a recording deal with RCA/Jive. Hopefuls include out New Orleans native Scotty Granger, great-nephew of gospel great Mahalia Jackson, who currently lives in Los Angeles and counts Elton John among his musical influences.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- The Miseducation of Destin Holmes
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Travel Gay Bashing? There's an App for That! 46 min 54 sec ago
- Commentary Gun Advocate Uses Gays To Make His Point 2 hours 43 min ago
- Music EXCLUSIVE: Audra McDonald's 'Some Days' 8:56 AM
- Travel A Handy, Color-Coded Map to Gay Europe 8:43 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination 4:40 AM
- Current Issue The Miseducation of Destin Holmes 4:00 AM
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM