BY Brandon Voss
May 27 2011 3:40 PM ET
10. EVENT: Golden GRRRLS, A Night of 100 Drag Performers
On June 3 at the Epic Event Center in Minneapolis — which The Advocate recently named the gayest city in America — headliner Jackie Beat, cohost Todd Walker, and DJ Wendy Hunt will lead a parade of queens who plan to break the Guinness world record for the most drag artists in a single performance. All proceeds will benefit the Aliveness Project, which provides services and programs to people with HIV or AIDS.
9. DVD: Burning Palms
Among the twisted and taboo-filled L.A. stories in this edgy directorial debut by out filmmaker Christopher B. Landon — Disturbia writer and son of Michael Landon — Six Feet Under’s Peter Macdissi and Corpus Christi’s Anson Mount play a wealthy West Hollywood gay couple who decide to bring home the ultimate accessory, a African child, for all the wrong reasons. Shannen Doherty, Dylan McDermott, and Zoe Saldana costar.
8. TV: Platinum Hit
Kara DioGuardi and Jewel judge this new songwriting competition, which debuts May 30 on Bravo, in which a dozen musicians compete to win $100,000, a publishing deal with songwriting collective the Writing Camp, and a recording deal with RCA/Jive. Hopefuls include out New Orleans native Scotty Granger, great-nephew of gospel great Mahalia Jackson, who currently lives in Los Angeles and counts Elton John among his musical influences.
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- Boys Wear Skirts to Class in Protest After School Fines Trans Girl for Wearing Skirt
- Op-ed: Gay Voice Is Ruining Lives
- Catholics: Antigay Leaders Get Boot, a Progressive Becomes American Archbishop
- WATCH: Straight Dad Punched For Calling Out Woman's Antigay Slurs
- t.A.T.u. Singer OK with Lesbians, But Being Gay Is 'Unmanly'