BY Brandon Voss
June 08 2011 8:30 PM ET
10: TV: The Glee Project
On Ryan Murphy’s reality spin-off, 12 performers sing to win a multi-episode guest-starring role on Glee’s next season. Among the young competitors is gay 18-year-old Alex Newell, a Massachusetts native who counts church choir, improv club, and costume design among his hobbies. With judges Robert Ulrich, Zach Woodlee, and Nikki Anders, Darren Criss acts as a guest mentor on the series debut, which airs June 12 on Oxygen.
9. BOOK: No One in the World
Best known for his down-low debut, Invisible Life, gay African-American novelist E. Lynn Harris was still working on No One in the World with friend RM Johnson when Harris passed away in July 2009. Finished by Johnson, a straight urban fiction author, their collaborative experiment has yielded a fast-paced, drama-packed thriller about estranged twin brothers, one a closeted district attorney and the other a career criminal.
8. DVD: Undertow, From Beginning to End, and Children of God
It’s a good week for sexy gay films from foreign lands: In first-time filmmaker Javier Fuentes-León’s Undertow, Peru’s Oscar submission for Best Foreign Film, a married fisherman falls for a gay painter; in From Beginning to End, a controversial Brazilian drama by Aluizio Abranches, two hot half-brothers fall in love; and Kareem Mortimer’s Children of God centers on interracial male lovers on a rural, religious Bahamian island.
- PHOTOS: Men of the Outback
- 16 Antigay Leaders Exposed as Gay or Bi
- Op-ed: A 13-Year-Old, the Minnesota Governor, and LGBT Rights
- Where in the World Are the Happiest Gay Men?
- Broadway Bares Gets Naked for the 25th Time
- Poised for Perfection: Sgt. Shane Ortega Puts a Face to the Transgender Military Ban