BY Brandon Voss
June 08 2011 8:30 PM ET
7. TV: Two Spirits
Airing June 14 on the PBS series Independent Lens, Lydia Nibley’s moving documentary Two Spirits explores the brief life and brutal hate-crime murder of Fred Martinez, a 16-year-old Navajo viewed as a nádleehi (“one who is transformed”), a person with both masculine and feminine essences — a dual-gender trait ironically revered and respected in traditional Navajo culture. The film features music by Patti Smith and Navajo artists.
6. BOOK: Remembrance of Things I Forgot, Bob Smith
In gay writer-comedian and master storyteller Bob Smith’s hilarious and heartwarming second novel — a Proustian blend of sci-fi, autobiographical fiction, and political satire — a middle-aged comic book dealer travels in his physicist ex-boyfriend’s time machine to 1986, where he schools his younger self (“I’m you, only with less hair and problems you can’t imagine”) and attempts to stop George W. Bush from becoming president.
5. TV: Boombox
Charismatic New York nightclub DJ and rap artist Cazwell hosts this cutting-edge music video showcase, which will feature world premieres, exclusive artist interviews, and outrageous guests such as Amanda Lepore and J.D. Samson. A sexy throwback to the old-school MTV VJ scene, the series begins June 10 on here! TV and here! Online — the day the network debuts Threesome, a celebrity roundtable discussion of gay sex and dating.
- Transgender 'Tranny Awards' Changes Its Name, Not Its Nature 11 min 54 sec ago
- Love and Sex WATCH: 20 Strangers Kiss for the First Time 14 min 28 sec ago
- Women Why You Need to See Demi Lovato's Neon Lights Tour STAT 20 min 41 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Young Repubs Express Big Support for Marriage Equality 40 min 12 sec ago
- Television Teen Wolf Adds Gay Character, Expands Lacrosse Team 44 min 7 sec ago
- Television Teen Wolf Adds Gay Character, Expands Lacrosse Team 44 min 8 sec ago
- Women 5 Reasons to Watch CW's Arrow and 'Quiver!' 44 min 18 sec ago