BY Brandon Voss
June 24 2011 2:50 PM ET
7. EVENT: Jackie Beat: Pray the Gay Away and I ... Amanda Lepore in Concert
Love the parade, but it’s just not Gay Pride in New York until Jackie Beat’s annual pride show of filthy comedy and irreverent pop song parodies: The drag diva debuts Pray the Gay Away June 24 and 25 at the Gramercy Theater. Meanwhile, trans superstar Amanda Lepore premieres her album, I ... Amanda Lepore, with a concert June 25 at Highline Ballroom featuring Cazwell, Joey Arias, David LaChapelle, Ana Matronic, and more.
6. DVD: Christopher and His Kind
Available June 28 on DVD, this terrific BBC adaptation of Christopher Isherwood’s 1976 autobiography stars Doctor Who's Matt Smith as Isherwood, seen here as the young writer escapes his repressive life and suffocating mother in England to move to Germany. Isherwood gets sucked into the hedonistic cabaret scene and decadent gay subculture — sexy hustlers at the Cosy Corner! — in politically unstable 1930s Berlin.
5. MUSIC: 4, Beyoncé; With the Music I Die, Wynter Gordon; The Light of the Sun, Jill Scott; Show Me Your Tan Lines, Jessie and the Toy Boys
Who run the world? Girls! Tempering bangers with many ballads, Mrs. Jay-Z’s fourth solo album is her most mature yet; Wynter Gordon, a staple of gay pride events, includes hot single “Til Death” on her peppy new EP; Jill Scott’s sultry fifth album features single “So in Love” and “Shame” with Eve; and the debut EP by Britney’s tour mates Jessie and the Toy Boys — Jessie Malakouti and mannequins! — has the standout “Push It.”
- Artist Spotlight: Roberta Marrero
- The 50 Most Influential LGBT People in Media
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- WATCH: Philly Cops Search For Violent Group In Possible Hate Crime Against Gay Couple
- LGBT Groups, Conservatives Outraged As Straight Mates Marry for Rugby Tickets
- The Media Pioneers Will Be Gay