BY Brandon Voss
June 24 2011 2:50 PM ET
7. EVENT: Jackie Beat: Pray the Gay Away and I ... Amanda Lepore in Concert
Love the parade, but it’s just not Gay Pride in New York until Jackie Beat’s annual pride show of filthy comedy and irreverent pop song parodies: The drag diva debuts Pray the Gay Away June 24 and 25 at the Gramercy Theater. Meanwhile, trans superstar Amanda Lepore premieres her album, I ... Amanda Lepore, with a concert June 25 at Highline Ballroom featuring Cazwell, Joey Arias, David LaChapelle, Ana Matronic, and more.
6. DVD: Christopher and His Kind
Available June 28 on DVD, this terrific BBC adaptation of Christopher Isherwood’s 1976 autobiography stars Doctor Who's Matt Smith as Isherwood, seen here as the young writer escapes his repressive life and suffocating mother in England to move to Germany. Isherwood gets sucked into the hedonistic cabaret scene and decadent gay subculture — sexy hustlers at the Cosy Corner! — in politically unstable 1930s Berlin.
5. MUSIC: 4, Beyoncé; With the Music I Die, Wynter Gordon; The Light of the Sun, Jill Scott; Show Me Your Tan Lines, Jessie and the Toy Boys
Who run the world? Girls! Tempering bangers with many ballads, Mrs. Jay-Z’s fourth solo album is her most mature yet; Wynter Gordon, a staple of gay pride events, includes hot single “Til Death” on her peppy new EP; Jill Scott’s sultry fifth album features single “So in Love” and “Shame” with Eve; and the debut EP by Britney’s tour mates Jessie and the Toy Boys — Jessie Malakouti and mannequins! — has the standout “Push It.”
- Op-ed: When Right vs. Left Becomes Right vs. Wrong
- Could National Marriage Equality Mean the End of Gay Culture?
- PHOTOS: Men Over 50, 3rd Edition
- Boxer Manny Pacquiao Denies Making Antigay Remarks
- WATCH: Being Gay Is 'Death Worthy,' According to Georgia Church Sign
- Mayweather, Pacquiao: Two Checkered Pasts with LGBTs, One with Women