BY Brandon Voss
July 01 2011 11:00 AM ET
10. MUSIC: Red Hot + Rio 2
Red Hot Organization’s new tribute to the Tropicália movement of late-’60s Brazil — a sequel to the 1996 Bossa Nova-inspired Red Hot + Rio compilation — features more than 30 original collaborations between legendary Brazilian musicians and contemporary indie artists like Devendra Banhart, of Montreal, and Beck. As with all Red Hot projects, proceeds from the sale of this double-disc album benefit HIV/AIDS-related charities.
9. DVD: Breaking Glass Pictures
Since 2009, Breaking Glass Pictures has released more than two dozen LGBT titles, including The Big Gay Musical, Edie & Thea: A Very Long Engagement, My Trip Down the Pink Carpet, and the controversial Ticked-Off Trannies With Knives. In an extension of the distribution company’s Gay Pride special, all LGBT titles are 30% off through September 1 when buyers enter “PRIDE” during checkout at BreakingGlassPictures.com.
8. FILM: Love Etc.
Filmed over the course of one year, Jill Andresevic's engaging documentary — out July 1 in New York City and July 15 in L.A. — depicts the various stages of modern romance. Ranging in age from 18 to 89, the subjects include high school sweethearts, Indian newlyweds, and Scott Ellis (pictured), a gay TV and theater director who, eager to start a family of his own, goes the surrogacy route alone and becomes a single father of twins.
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- Op-ed: Gay Voice Is Ruining Lives
- t.A.T.u. Singer OK with Lesbians, But Being Gay Is 'Unmanly'
- The 50 Most Influential LGBT People in Media
- WATCH: Straight Dad Punched For Calling Out Woman's Antigay Slurs
- Hot Sheet: Openly Serving, Openly Loving