BY Brandon Voss
July 15 2011 1:20 PM ET
7. DVD: Torchwood: The Complete Original UK Series
With the fourth season of Torchwood — Russell T. Davies’s British sci-fi spin-off of Doctor Who — now premiering stateside on Starz, it’s the perfect time and space to catch up on the first three seasons, which aired on BBC America. If you’re a Torchwood virgin, this 14-disc, 31-episode collection, which is out July 19, will have you carrying a torch for gay role model John Barrowman, who plays omnisexual hero Capt. Jack Harkness.
6. DVD: Cracks
Available July 19, this dark drama stars a mesmerizing Eva Green as Miss G, a diving instructor who develops a dangerously inappropriate sexual obsession on a pretty new student, an enigmatic Spaniard played by María Valverde, at a British girls’ boarding school in 1934. Coproduced by Christine Vachon, this exquisite directorial debut from Jordan Scott — Ridley Scott’s daughter — simmers sumptuously with sinister suspense.
5. TV: Web Therapy
Lisa Kudrow stars as a self-involved iChat shrink in this largely ad-libbed series she created with producing partner Dan Bucatinsky and his boyfriend, writer-director Don Roos. After three seasons online, the trio — collaborators on NBC’s Who Do You Think You Are? — bring Web Therapy to Showtime starting July 19. Jane Lynch, Rashida Jones, Victor Garber, and Lily Tomlin are among Kudrow’s friends making appearances.
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- 52 LGBT Superheroes and Villains
- Op-ed: I'm a Lesbian Targeted by the Bathroom Police
- The Advocate's 31 Favorite Films of Outfest 2015
- Gov. Sam Brownback: Kansas Can't Penalize Religious Groups Opposed to Marriage Equality
- Suicides, Antigay Accusations Sully Elite San Diego School