BY Brandon Voss
August 05 2011 12:05 PM ET
10. TV: Superheroes
Produced by out filmmaker Theodore James and premiering August 8 as part of HBO’s summer documentary series, Michael Barnett’s film celebrates kooky vigilantes who don homemade costumes while protecting their communities from criminals and evildoers. Gay hero Zimmer of the New York Initiative uses his tech-savviness to help stop hate and homophobia in his Brooklyn hood. For more info visit SuperheroesTheMovie.com.
9. THEATER: Hairspray
Jerry Mitchell directs and choreographs this starry Los Angeles production of Mark Shaiman and Scott Wittman’s musical adaptation of John Waters’s 1988 civil rights comedy. Mitchell, Hairspray’s original choreographer, reunites Broadway duo Marissa Jaret Winokur and Harvey Fierstein (pictured) August 5 through August 7 at the Hollywood Bowl with a cast that includes Nick Jonas and John Stamos. For tickets visit HollywoodBowl.com.
8. ART: Fire Island Pines Art Show
Among the 30 artists participating in the 13th annual Fire Island Pines Art Show, which will be well hung August 6 at Whyte Hall, emerging gay artist and philanthropist Lars Klingstedt will display his popular series of contemporary Warholian celebrity portraits. His newest works, Liz Was Cleopatra and Violet Liz, honor late actress and AIDS activist Elizabeth Taylor. For more info visit LarsFineArt.com and FIPAP.org.
- Women WATCH: Meet Orphan Black's New Clone! 15 min 58 sec ago
- Women Who the F Is ... Dolly Wilde 38 min 30 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Couples Sue Florida for Recognition of Their Marriages 53 min 25 sec ago
- Television After Elimination: Vivacious of RuPaul's Drag Race Season 6 1 hour 43 min ago
- Transgender Study: Rescind The Ban on Trans Service Members 2 hours 2 min ago
- Parenting We're Not Perfect, We're Parents 8:18 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: No One Is Invincible 7:00 AM