BY Brandon Voss
August 05 2011 12:05 PM ET
10. TV: Superheroes
Produced by out filmmaker Theodore James and premiering August 8 as part of HBO’s summer documentary series, Michael Barnett’s film celebrates kooky vigilantes who don homemade costumes while protecting their communities from criminals and evildoers. Gay hero Zimmer of the New York Initiative uses his tech-savviness to help stop hate and homophobia in his Brooklyn hood. For more info visit SuperheroesTheMovie.com.
9. THEATER: Hairspray
Jerry Mitchell directs and choreographs this starry Los Angeles production of Mark Shaiman and Scott Wittman’s musical adaptation of John Waters’s 1988 civil rights comedy. Mitchell, Hairspray’s original choreographer, reunites Broadway duo Marissa Jaret Winokur and Harvey Fierstein (pictured) August 5 through August 7 at the Hollywood Bowl with a cast that includes Nick Jonas and John Stamos. For tickets visit HollywoodBowl.com.
8. ART: Fire Island Pines Art Show
Among the 30 artists participating in the 13th annual Fire Island Pines Art Show, which will be well hung August 6 at Whyte Hall, emerging gay artist and philanthropist Lars Klingstedt will display his popular series of contemporary Warholian celebrity portraits. His newest works, Liz Was Cleopatra and Violet Liz, honor late actress and AIDS activist Elizabeth Taylor. For more info visit LarsFineArt.com and FIPAP.org.
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books 2 hours 36 min ago
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions 3:04 PM
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM