BY Brandon Voss
August 05 2011 12:05 PM ET
7. EVENT: San Francisco Drag King Contest
The 16th annual San Francisco Drag King Contest, the nation’s longest-running drag king competition, judges butch hopefuls based on criteria such as studliness and facial hair. Fudgie Frottage (pictured) and Sister Roma emcee the royal occasion — a benefit for Pets Are Wonderful Support — August 5 at DNA Lounge with special appearances by the Indra, D.R.E.D., and other local faves. For more info visit SFDragKingContest.com.
6. TV: Out. The Glenn Burke Story
Nominated for a GLAAD Media Award, this Comcast SportsNet documentary explores the ’70s peak and tragic decline of Glenn Burke, Major League Baseball’s first openly gay player, who died of AIDS complications in 1995. Making its national broadcast premiere August 9 on Versus, the doc features interviews with Burke’s former Los Angeles Dodgers and Oakland A’s teammates, who believe that his sexuality caused his career’s derailment.
5. FILM: Magic Trip
In 1964, One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest author Ken Kesey embarked on a legendary, LSD-fueled road trip with the “Merry Pranksters,” a psychedelic posse that included bisexual Beat icon Neal Cassady as the bus driver. That journey was captured on 16-millimeter film that stayed mostly unseen until filmmakers Alex Gibney and Alison Ellwood shaped 100 hours of footage into a cool documentary, which opens August 5 in limited release.
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- Has Gaga Lost the Gays?
- The 50 Most Influential LGBT People in Media
- ISIS Propaganda Claims Gays Are 'Pedophiles,' 'Animals'
- Jon Stewart Remembers When The NFL's Biggest Distraction Was a Gay Player
- Philly: Catholic High School Fires Basketball Coach for Connection to Antigay Beating