BY Brandon Voss
August 19 2011 2:45 AM ET
7. TV: Most Eligible Dallas
This Bravo docu-series about rich singles wasn’t on our gaydar until Monday’s premiere, in which gay cast member Drew Ginsburg (pictured) revealed that he had recently lost 200 pounds after gastric bypass surgery. Drew is also into luxury cars and his family’s dealerships. “You wanna talk the arts? Go find another queer,” he said, shortly after injecting female hormones to lose more weight. Top that, Logo’s The A-List: Dallas!
6. DVD: To Die Like a Man
Recalling Pedro Almodóvar at his edgiest and most contemplative, this eye-popping 2009 musical melodrama from gay Portuguese filmmaker João Pedro Rodrigues (O Fantasma) is available August 23 on DVD. A heartbreaking Fernando Santos stars as Tonia, an aging drag icon in 1980s Lisbon. Pressured by junkie boyfriend Rosario, Tonia, who also has a closeted gay son, begins a difficult and dangerous transition to become a woman.
5. MUSIC: Obscurities, Stephin Merritt
Available August 23, a quirky new rarities collection from the gay Magnetic Fields front man features hard-to-find recordings that date back to the songwriter’s late ’90s Merge Records period and earlier. The 14 haunting tracks include previously unreleased songs from The Song From Venus, an unfinished sci-fi musical, and “You Are Not My Mother and I Want to Go Home” from the audiobook of Neil Gaiman’s novella Coraline.
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return 6:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith 4:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 7:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 7:25 PM
- Marriage Equality Here's The Most Absurd Thing You Missed in Michigan's Marriage Equality Trial March 07 2014 7:20 PM
- Uganda As Aid Cuts Continue, Ugandan Officials Not Concerned March 07 2014 6:57 PM
- Religion Fired Gay Administrator Sues Wash. Catholic School March 07 2014 6:55 PM