BY Brandon Voss
August 19 2011 2:45 AM ET
4. EVENT: Mattachine
For more than three years at Manhattan’s historic gay bar Julius’, out filmmaker John Cameron Mitchell has thrown Mattachine, a monthly dance party “promoting ethical homosexual culture” and honoring LGBT pioneers. On August 21, as part of a cross-country summer road trip, he brings his old-school event to La Cita Bar in Los Angeles with performance artist Amber Martin and Shortbus stars Paul Dawson and PJ DeBoy.
3. MUSIC: What Matters Most: Barbra Streisand Sings the Lyrics of Alan and Marilyn Bergman
Out August 23 in both regular and deluxe editions that include a 24-page color booklet, Streisand’s stunning new album is made up solely of songs written by her longtime collaborators Alan and Marilyn Bergman, the team behind such classics as “The Way We Were” and “You Don’t Bring Me Flowers.” “The Windmills of Your Mind,” “So Many Stars,” and “That Face” are among the 10 Bergman gems previously unrecorded by Babs.
2. MUSIC: Change Begins With Me, Matt Zarley
Hunky out singer-songwriter Matt Zarley — a Broadway vet and the first openly gay man featured as one of People’s “Most Eligible Bachelors” — releases his latest adult pop album August 23. Lead dance single “WTF,” a flip-off to a famous ex-fling, anchors a sexy collection of swoon-worthy songs about falling in love and healing from heartbreak. The standout title track benefits from backup vocals by Broadway Inspirational Voices.
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- READ: 9-Year-Old Girl's Adorable Letter to Newly Out Gay Teacher
- A Double Life No More: Top College Swimmer Comes Out
- WATCH: Gay Hero of Sydney Siege Wrestled With Gunman
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers