BY Brandon Voss
August 19 2011 2:45 AM ET
4. EVENT: Mattachine
For more than three years at Manhattan’s historic gay bar Julius’, out filmmaker John Cameron Mitchell has thrown Mattachine, a monthly dance party “promoting ethical homosexual culture” and honoring LGBT pioneers. On August 21, as part of a cross-country summer road trip, he brings his old-school event to La Cita Bar in Los Angeles with performance artist Amber Martin and Shortbus stars Paul Dawson and PJ DeBoy.
3. MUSIC: What Matters Most: Barbra Streisand Sings the Lyrics of Alan and Marilyn Bergman
Out August 23 in both regular and deluxe editions that include a 24-page color booklet, Streisand’s stunning new album is made up solely of songs written by her longtime collaborators Alan and Marilyn Bergman, the team behind such classics as “The Way We Were” and “You Don’t Bring Me Flowers.” “The Windmills of Your Mind,” “So Many Stars,” and “That Face” are among the 10 Bergman gems previously unrecorded by Babs.
2. MUSIC: Change Begins With Me, Matt Zarley
Hunky out singer-songwriter Matt Zarley — a Broadway vet and the first openly gay man featured as one of People’s “Most Eligible Bachelors” — releases his latest adult pop album August 23. Lead dance single “WTF,” a flip-off to a famous ex-fling, anchors a sexy collection of swoon-worthy songs about falling in love and healing from heartbreak. The standout title track benefits from backup vocals by Broadway Inspirational Voices.
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 7:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 7:25 PM
- Marriage Equality Here's The Most Absurd Thing You Missed in Michigan's Marriage Equality Trial March 07 2014 7:20 PM
- Uganda As Aid Cuts Continue, Ugandan Officials Not Concerned March 07 2014 6:57 PM
- Religion Fired Gay Administrator Sues Wash. Catholic School March 07 2014 6:55 PM
- Women Who the F Is … California Politico Toni Atkins? March 07 2014 5:53 PM
- Women Op-ed: Why We Need International Women's Day March 07 2014 5:49 PM