BY Brandon Voss
August 26 2011 2:55 PM ET
7. TV: The 2011 MTV Video Music Awards
Lady Gaga’s “Born This Way” is among the nominees for Best Video With a Message, a new category honoring socially responsible artists at the MTV Video Music Awards, which airs August 28. Inspired by the celebrities who have promoted self-empowerment and spoken out against bullying and antigay discrimination, the category is in conjunction with MTV Act, which celebrates the union between music and social activism.
6. CONCERT: Rhythm & Roots
Out Israeli pop singer Harel Skaat (pictured) makes his Los Angeles debut August 28 at the Ford Amphitheatre as part of Rhythm & Roots, a concert celebrating diverse cultures through music and dance. The event, which benefits various youth organizations, also features Keshet Chaim Dance Ensemble, the Agape International Choir, Lula Washington Dance Theatre, Abraham McDonald, and MC Lyte. For more info visit FordTheatres.org.
5. TV: I’m Pregnant and ... My Husband Wants to Become a Woman
Discovery Fit & Health’s popular series I’m Pregnant and ... returns September 1 with six new stories of women facing serious issues on top of their pregnancy. In the first episode young couple Brandy and Josh are expecting their first child while Josh begins transitioning into a woman by taking estrogen shots. Meanwhile, Brandy suffers from trichotillomania, a disorder of obsessive hair-pulling, which she covers up with a wig.
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- Has Gaga Lost the Gays?
- Jon Stewart Remembers When The NFL's Biggest Distraction Was a Gay Player
- Philly: Catholic High School Fires Basketball Coach for Connection to Antigay Beating
- The 50 Most Influential LGBT People in Media
- Op-ed: The Trouble With Teen Wolf